Menu
thenameistom123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Network issues with Xbox one

Hello,

I am suffering a problem with the connection from my virgin wifi to my xbox one. I have had this set up since November of last year and it was working fine. However just over a week ago there was maintenance in the area and ever since the wifi came back online i have had problems. 

The issue i have is i simply cannot play online without either being disconnected every 10 minutes, only to be reconnected straight after, or i suffer huge lag spikes which makes gaming not possible. 

I have connected my xbox to the router by a wired connection and it worked perfectly. However when i removed the cable and had the xbox literally next to the wifi, it still would have the same problem. 

So far i have made sure my IPSec Pass Through is ticked, and i have tried several restarts of both my console and router. I tried out both 2G and 5G. I also called virgin's helpline, only to be put through to a man who said he had fixed the problem "a glitch in our network" and it would be working now, which it was not. 

Any help would be hugely appreciated. I understand that this is nobody's fault but considering the price we pay a solution ASAP would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
E_goode91
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Network issues with Xbox one

I'm having the same issue with PS4. I used a Power link to solve it, but I still get the random cut outs of Internet and get kicked.

Not doing much for my DNF score.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi thenameistom123

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to read that you are having an issue with the Xbox One connecting to your wireless network.

As the Xbox One works fine through wired, this is issue will be due to wireless inteference. Can you try the following please to see if this will help:

1. Complete a factory reset of the Super Hub (be mindful that any saved settings will revert to default) and rename the 2.4 GHz network including password completely different from the 5 GHz network.
  2. You can try to change the wrieless channel.
  3. Also try changing the security from WPA - Auto to WPA - PSK AES

With any online gaming or games console we do advise to use wired connections where possible due to the wireless interference.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
thenameistom123
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam, 

Thanks for the reply.

I recently set up a wired adapter that links the xbox to the router now with a wired connection. This has stopped me getting kicked offline every five minutes which is good,

However i am still experiencing problems with drop of connection (lag spikes) and have noticed whenever i get lag on my xbox, if I'm streaming something on my laptop, both of them will lag at the same time. 

Any help for this problem?

0 Kudos
lloydspence
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

I am also having similar problems with my Xbox One. I have a Superhub 2ac since July last year and up until now it has functioned fairly well. In the last week however, my Xbox has started randomly disconnecting from the wireless network. It happens every 5 minutes or so and only lasts for a few seconds, but this is enough to ruin the game or Sky stream. Unfortunately, I am unable to use a wired connection due to logistical problems with the layout of the house. I have tried your solutions above and have reset and factory reset the router but it doesn't seem to help.

I tried talking to the Virgin help team and they said that all they can do is test a wired connection, which is not very easy for me to set up.

Best,

Lloyd

0 Kudos
thenameistom123
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lloyd,

That sounds almost identical to the problem I'm having. If it's wireless I can't play without being hit offline and then instantly reconnected. When I make it a wired connection I can't play with friends as I lay out the party and the game lobby instead of going offline!

Really annoying!
Tom
0 Kudos
lloydspence
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom,

I haven't found a permanent solution to this yet, but I have got a temporary work around that seems to help me. When you are playing and the problem starts happening, turn the xbox off by holding the power button on the console for about 10 seconds to fully shut it down. Then give it a couple of seconds and turn it back on. For some reason this seems to stop the disconnections for that playing session.

Hopefully a permanent solution is found soon.

Best,

Lloyd

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi thenameistom123,

Thanks for getting back to us regarding this.

I've located your account and currently, your equipment is showing as offline.

I have sent you a private message to discuss this further, you can locate my message by clicking on the envelope icon near the top right corner of the Community page.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there lloydspence,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing some issues with your connection.

I've located your account and there does appear to be issues with both upstream power and the modem SNR upstream at present.

I've sent you a private message for us to discuss this further, which you can locate by clicking the envelope icon near the top right corner of the Community page.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos