Menu
alexfgrey
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Netflix slows EVERYBODY down.

Hey. We've been living in this house (Bristol) for 5 months now. 4 students that all use the internet for either gaming or general internet use. However, one of the housemates uses netflix, streams in either low/normal quality (at our request as we've figured that its netflix) and is just about decent quality to enjoy watching.

We've called Virgin media twice now. One where they simply told us to reset the internet, which we've done enough now. The second time, we were told to call when the problem persists, and every time we've tried to get through the bloody call gets put down or breaks up.

I've used speed test on several devices both on wifi AND using an ethernet cable, and the highest speed we've received was about 3/4 mbs download speed, with a higher upload speed. It's strange because we can download steam games at a solid 4-6 mb/s.

Everybody uses wifi upstairs, and I'm in the room next to the hub using a TP link.

So to summarize, whenever netflix is streaming, EVERYBODY elses internet slows down, to the point where soundcloud, spotify, youtube and general browsing needs to buffer every 2/3 seconds. Whereas, our friends that have the same internet package, router AND stream netflix have no problem, they even get upto 30-40mb/s on speedtest.net

Anyhow, anyone else have the same issue at all? Or could recommend anything?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
apacketofsweets
Rising star
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix slows EVERYBODY down.

Your TP link device, is it a router or a powerline adapter?

If it's a router, is the hub in modem only mode? If not and you're running the Superhub in router mode as well as having another router attached, then that will cause all sorts of weird issues.

Also, when you remove the TP link, does the issue persist?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I work for Virgin Media, all posts here are my own views, written in my own time. My advice should not be taken as gospel, I could be wrong. Please don't PM me if you require an official VM reponse.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello alexfgrey

So sorry about the poor streaming, we will do our best to help.

All good advice from apacketofsweets thanks but I would like to add my bit too.

Your area is over-utilised at peak times and this may contribute to the streaming issues sorry. We are aware ref F003323087 and would like to do some upgrade work but are still planning at the moment. The review date is 25 FEB 2015 so please ask for an update then. In the meantime please give us a call to discuss a credit for loss of service.

Also the power levels received at the hub are too high:

VM SUPER HUB 2 Downstream 0 13.2 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2 Downstream 1 13.1 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2 Downstream 2 12.9 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2 Downstream 3 13.2 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2 Downstream 4 13.1 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2 Downstream 5 13.3 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2 Downstream 6 13.2 dBmV
VM SUPER HUB 2 Downstream 7 13.4 dBmV

Best we let an engineer take a look if that's okay with you. I will send you a private message to arrange an appointment.

Please reply when you have a moment.

Thank you, speak soon in message land Smiley Happy
Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello alexfgrey

Thank you for getting back to me. I have booked you an engineer.

Please let us know how it goes in this thread.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
dc1231
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

This is also a problem in my student house. I have reported it to the landlord but nothing seems to happen from VM's end. They say its all fine when netflix, sky online, bbc iplayer are constantly not working and constantly re buffering every other min. Its getting ridiculous now. it started only doing it once and a while and now its all day and night.

i cannot log in to the main hub as the landlord has that information but VM are not helping. 

0 Kudos
dc1231
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

this is driving me crazy! please help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi dc1231, 

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I have had a look at the connection and things are looking ok from this side. There is a bit of an issue with slow speeds during peak time in your area, we will need to keep an eye on this for you. Everything else looks to be fine. 

So we can get to the bottom of this please advise what sort of times you are seeing slow speeds. We will then be able to cross check this against our systems to see if anything matches. 

Please also try the Hub in modem only mode and the computer in safe mode and let us know if you have the same trouble. 

Keep me posted.

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
dc1231
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

its really all the time but id say 7pm-2am or 10am - 3pm at the worst

this does not solve the problem though. its  very well saying these things but its not whats happening. for a 120mbps its only getting 30mbps at the high points, which is not what the contract said.

0 Kudos
dc1231
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Now no response again. It's at 1mbps right now
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dc1231,

Sorry to hear you're not getting full speeds. I've tried to check your connection to compare the stats emma mentioned to the times you've posted but I've been unable to locate your account.

I've just sent you a private message requesting some details so that I can investigate this further. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos