Menu
Herrera21
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Nat Type Strict on XboxOne Wired Connection using Hub3.0

Hi,

I recently switched to Virgin Media for Broadbane only (vivid200). Speed is fantastic, I mean ridiculously fantastic but I am constantly getting Moderate or Strict Nat Type.

I have a Hub3.0, when I was with Sky I was getting 4mb down 0.5 up but was always set as Open Nat Type.

Here I get 208down and 13up and its nearly always Strict and other times Moderate.

My Xbox is Wired Connection and there are 3 mobile devices and a laptop connected wireless.

Sorry if any of the above is irrelevant trying to give as much info as poss.

Can anyone help? 

0 Kudos
sjm1985
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nat Type Strict on XboxOne Wired Connection using Hub3.0

Hello, I've just switched from talk-talk and discovered the exact same issue as you.

The problem is caused by the vm hub 3.0 not opening all the required ports for xbox live to work correctly (well at least one isn't opened)

Xbox live needs a precise set of ports to be fully accessible in order to function correctly, you can normally achieve this by either manually port forwarding each required port or simply by adding your xbox one ip address into the DMZ mode. Unfortunately neither option works with the new hub 3.0 and i suspect with all recent posts about errors with xbox live probably other hubs are affected also (hub 2.0)

It seems like the new hub 3.0 comes with port 53 locked down, when you try to port forwarded this port the vm hub refuses the rule stating port reserved. (Nat was showing strict majority of time occasionally going to moderate)

You can try putting your xbox one in the hub 3.0 DMZ mode but as stated above even that refused to work correctly for me, it seemed to open every port needed apart from port 53 again. (Nat stuck at moderate all time)

The only fix i found was to put the hub 3.0 in modem-only mode, very easy to achieve but has its own drawbacks mainly you'll need an external router to plug into the hub 3.0 and have all your devices plugged into that router (switching vm hub 3.0 into modem-only mode basically disables all the built-in router side of things, dhcp,nat,upnp,firewall, everything)

Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open:
  • Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
  • Port 500 (UDP)
  • Port 3544 (UDP)
  • Port 4500 (UDP) Note Some game developers require you to open additional ports.

Herrera21
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks bud,

I managed to get it sorted in the end doing exactly what you'd put. 

Where i'd gone wrong was allowing other users of my Router access to internet whilst i was Port forwarding as it kept changing my Xbox's IP.

Got them to turn it all off untill i sorted it out and now everythings working fine

0 Kudos
Tjh1968
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi..just got hub 3 and had the same problems. Open ports listed above. You can use dmz if you want. The "secret" is to have the router firewall ON. Port forwarding only works with firewall ON.

you will need to set a static IP address on your Xbox one as port forwarding needs static IP.

This worked for me and I now have NAT open on both my Xbox one,s.

Hope this helps
Tags (1)
0 Kudos