Menu
Chris16
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

NAT Type

Bought my PS4 yesterday and having the same issue I had with my Xbox One no matter what I change on the Super Hub settings it's still only NAT Type 3?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: NAT Type

The hubs don't handle UPNP too well, but that aside...

My PS4 which reports NAT type 2 during connection tests, shows NAT type 1 (open) in any of the games I play on it. Same for my PS3.

I know that the speed test side of the connection test is single threaded and goes back to a server in the US of A. But it also seems to me like the NAT type reported by the connection test is also off, as all my games report open nat (type 1) on both my PS3 and PS4 and I can host perfecty. While the connection test info stubbornly lists it at NAT type 2. All I have done is UPNP enabled with the Firewall at low, but more usually set to off.

So - when in any game, what NAT type does the game report for you?

Remember not to mix the methods, for example, if you're going down the DMZ route + static IP, turn of UPNP. Basically, don't mix the methods as they break each other.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The SH are bad at UPnP, but I have no problems with NAT on my PS3 / PS4 / PSVita. My sig says it all.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Omar7733
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What's the best way to the test the Internet speed on the Playstation other than going to "Settings"/"Test Internet Connection" because this is only estimating your Internet speed and this keeps changing.

Is there a website I can go to when I'm on my Playstation 4???

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Omar7733 wrote:

What's the best way to the test the Internet speed on the Playstation other than going to "Settings"/"Test Internet Connection" because this is only estimating your Internet speed and this keeps changing.

Is there a website I can go to when I'm on my Playstation 4???

The Sony speed tests on PS3 & PS4 are notorious for not reflecting the true speed of your connection because they only use a single threaded download.

I found a speed test that works on the PS4 browser and has a multi threaded download option, try this site in the PS4 web browser: http://testmy.net/multithread

However even the site above shows slower results on my PS4 than on my PC so I wouldn't recommend the PS4 as a good way to measure your line speed.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The PS3/PS4 have rubbish network cards in them, Plus the Sony Back end is rubbish, but is getting better.

The PS4 Network card is way better than the PS3 but way slower than a PC one.

You will NEVER get full speed on a PS3/PS4 when doing any testing. The most I have ever had is 42Mbits, and I am on the 200Mb VM service.

The best test of your Network Speed is a PC connected to the SH via Cat5e Cable.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos