Menu
HecticPav
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My ps4 get REALLY SLOW speeds since I have moved to virgin media, any help?

About 2 months ago I moved to virgin media, before I was with talk talk and was getting bad, but use able speeds on my ps4, but since I 'upgraded' to virgin media my ps4 speeds have been around 50-100 kbps DL and ul. I use wireless and on my of and other devices i get 200mbs! My ps4 is pretty much un usable at this state which is very annoying! I've tried many things to fix this problem and at first I thought it was my ps4 but now I believe its to do with virgin media. Any help would be highly appreciated! 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: My ps4 get REALLY SLOW speeds since I have moved to virgin media, any help?

Hi HecticPav

I'm sorry to hear of the slow speeds that you are experiencing on your PS4. I've run a few checks on your connection and everything is looking healthy. No problems showing with your hub or network segment. 

A speed test from you PS4 won't provide you with an accurate result. If your speed tests on other devices are ok then it's all looking good Smiley Happy Have you tried changing the wireless channel? I've included a link here with some information on how to do this.

For gaming I would recommend using a wired connection for stability as wireless is prone to different forms of interference. If distance is a concern you can use accessories such as powerline adaptors. Have you tried connecting your PS4 over ethernet to see if it makes a difference?

Speak soon 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
HecticPav
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well I fixed it, but by accident! I was moving my setup around and moved my ps4 literally 30cm away from where it was and now i get 18mbs DL and 15mbs UL

0 Kudos
HecticPav
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK so me moving my ps4 increased my speeds a lot, however it lasted about 1 day, now keep getting bad speeds again!

0 Kudos
TRODDA
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I would also recommend using a wired connection. It improved the speeds on my ps4 a lot. 

Also the ps4 has some stupid software in it that limits the internet speeds it can receive (idk why) so you will not be able to get your full 200mbps. I have a 100mbps connection and have peaked at 35~mbps.

Not a professional opinion but I hope that helped??  

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

HecticPav wrote:

Well I fixed it, but by accident! I was moving my setup around and moved my ps4 literally 30cm away from where it was and now i get 18mbs DL and 15mbs UL

That demonstrates exactly why you should be using a wired connection for gaming.

WiFi signals are just too variable when you need a fast reliable connection..

HecticPav
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

if I was to use wired I would need a VERY long Ethernet cable as my ps4 is upstairs and my router is downstairs, if my ps4 was closer I would be using Ethernet  

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I understand entirely why you need to use WiFi instead of ethernet. But you will have to accept the consequences of doing that. At least you know now what is happening.

0 Kudos
HecticPav
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I understand the consequences of using WiFi, however the effect should not be that large, my pc, phone, tabletuse wifi and they all get 100mbs+

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi HecticPav

Thanks for getting back to us. Did you try changing the wireless channel to see if this made any difference?

Wired connection over wireless would provide you with a more stable connection when gaming. If distance is the reason that you can't connect your PS4 over ethernet you can use accessories such as  powerline adaptors to get around this. There is a link here with some more information.

Thanks 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos