Menu
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My own router?

So I've had a latency issue when gaming with a superhub 2 and now a superhub 3. Will buying my own router improve my gaming experience?
0 Kudos
Big-Gaz
Up to speed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: My own router?

Hi,

I got the Hub 3 in modem mode and use an Asus RT-AC88U router and it seems to better, overall.
I think this is, due to the Hub 3 not having to be a router at the same times .

I find, it gives you full control over the router side, when using your own router.
For example: Using Google DNS servers, instead of VM ones.

I know the router I got is an expensive one.
One of my friends I game with on the PS4 (was on Xbox One as well) he is also on VM and uses the Asus RT-N66U and seems happy with it, I believe he on the 300M connection

Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just did broadband quality graph and the results were bad, really high latency. Tbh I don't think it's wise for me to buy expensive router when the superhub 3 has this really bad latency issue. If I put superhub 3 in modem mode and plug my own router in, will this get around the superhub 3 latency issue?
0 Kudos
keasy
Up to speed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

From what I've gathered in afraid the answer is no.
The problem lies within the fact the SH3 uses Intel's Puma 6 chip. I believe VM have a beta FW for this but there's no release date AFAIK. There's a huge thread about it on these forums.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Changing ISP may be the move
0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Anyone has the superhub 3 in modem mode and use their own router and experience a stable, smooth connection when gaming particularly call of duty?
The level of latency im experiencing is brutal when using superhub 3. I had same issue with superhub 2
0 Kudos
Andruser
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

<i>The level of latency im experiencing is brutal when using superhub 3. I had same issue with superhub 2</i>

The SH2 uses an Intel Puma 5 chipset, and that is reportedly affected by the same bug as the Puma 6 chipset.  I really can't believe that companies of the scale of Virginmedia, Liberty Global, Arris, and Intel didn't know that the performance was crap (see charts on link below), and the only conclusion is that they knew, and didn't care.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

From what I see, I don't believe Virginmedia (other than a few plucky tech support staff) read these forums.  

0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yh they tend to tell me my connection and superhub are fine and start ignoring me, it's like they're pretending there's nothing wrong with their superhubs. It's disgraceful tbh
0 Kudos