Menu
emmaburns_08
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode question

Hi there we are new to virgin, only a week joined purely for gaming purposes.  I just wondered if we put our hub into modem mode can we still use other devices connected via WiFi?

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Modem mode question

No, modem mode disables wireless on the hub and all but one of the Ethernet ports.  It is designed to be used with a third party router that handles the wireless instead of the hub.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, modem mode disables wireless on the hub and all but one of the Ethernet ports.  It is designed to be used with a third party router that handles the wireless instead of the hub.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

emmaburns_08
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott i think I will try work out the port forwarding in router settings first before trying modem mode as we need WiFi for other devices.  

My Broadband Speed Test
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Emma

Go modem mode and your own router, you wont look back.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
emmaburns_08
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi RedGooner thanks for your reply, how would it work using another router for WiFi? Where would we plug it into?

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The other router is connected to the hub via Ethernet cable.  It is usually a good option but without knowing exactly what issue you're having it is difficult to advise.

If you are struggling with poor wireless range then a third party router can often do a better job than the VM hubs.  If your issue can be solved with port forwarding then that costs you nothing, rather than the expense of a third party router that may or may not not fix the issue.

emmaburns_08
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So would that mean plugging my Xbox one into the 3rd party routers ethernet cable rather than through the hub? I use my Xbox one hard wiredinto hub 3 router but only other 3rd party router I have is a plusnet one, only that sucks for gaming which is why I went with virgin for the fibre and better router.

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you would plug the Xbox into an Ethernet port on the third party router.  A Plusnet router would not be easy to setup as it is designed for ADSL not cable so I wouldn't recommend trying to use it.

You still haven't said why you are looking into modem mode?  Are you having issues with games on the Xbox?  A lot of people are able to play games using their hub in router mode with no issues and some just need some port forwarding setup.

emmaburns_08
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah right I get you.  Yes purely for gaming I think I need to set up port forwarding as at the moment I see slight improvements having fibre but not as great as I expected but again I think that's purely because I need to set up port forwarding.  I thought my ping I get in my Xbox diagnostics would be better but still the same as when I had adsl.  It's been a bit laggy tonight as well but again I think I probably need to forward ports.

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

See this post

The SH is useless for Gaming, Go Modem Mode add your own router all will improve over night.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos