Menu
Jingsley
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Modem disconnects

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else suffers from daily modem disconnects? It is happening for us a couple of times every morning (and random times) and then almost like clockwork at about 7:30pm. The modem light flashes and everyone in the house loses connection, and although it quickly reconnects, it is a major disruption to gaming.

Have tried contacting Virgin, but just got the usual "it's working fine now", "I've changed some of your settings" and "everyone is logging on at this time" responses.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and if there is a fix?

Jonathan

0 Kudos
MxGaming
Joining in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem disconnects

Yeah this often happens to me too for 10-30 seconds a handful of times per day and it really is difficult to deal with, especially in competitive gaming sessions. I don't wish to enquire about this on the phone just yet until I get my new speed upgrade though.

0 Kudos
Jingsley
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

...there we go again - 7:26pm as usual!

0 Kudos
Jingsley
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

... and again

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Post your Hub power levels and setup a TBB monitor at www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

These two things will help the Forum Mods and Forum Users diagnose your issues

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jingsley
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Latest TBB graph, plus upstream and downstream data.

graph.PNGupstream.PNGdownstream.PNG

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Maybe you have something downloading or uploading like online backup?

Lots of people don't know what their connection is doing and there is nothing in the super hub to help show this (and the bandwidth amount don't work). Its next to impossible to work out when its a VM issue or not unless you know what to look for which the super hub in router mode can not do. Your own equipment with a live bandwidth graph or Tx and Rx per second would help.

When the super hub rate limits for your upto limit it buffers everything short downloading or uploading will cause spikes as does a long downloading or uploading without your own QoS in place to stop it hitting in the super hubs rate limit so you can manage your traffic better. Then other problem is the bandwidth available at peak times and the QoS for that by VM in a given area may vary.

For anyone not knowing what to look for its best to disable the wireless in the super hub and with one wire device then if you really don't know what to look for even if you have NetWorx https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/
with the super hub in router mode unplug your device as BQM will still ping or in modem mode you can do the same with your own router for about 30min then check your BQM if the ping stays high likely a VM issue if the ping goes low over the time you have nothing connected likely you had something downloading or uploading and that might not hit your upto speed so you need to do a speed test when idle to show the available bandwidth in the area is poor.

0 Kudos
Jingsley
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I can understand that exceeding bandwidth would cause this problem, but there is nothing anyone is doing here here that matches the regularity that this is happening. Here is yesterday's 7:30pm fail, just like clockwork:

1da60bfc17584d7776e14d777505aa66

I will try as you have suggested though and see if it occurs when everything is unplugged...watch this space!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jingsley,

Thanks for posting on the community. It's nice to have you back here.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing intermittent broadband connection. I can imagine how frustrating this can be.

I've managed to locate your account, there has been no time-outs since the router has been online and the network segment is running stable.

Does this happen on both wired and wireless devices? 

Can you post your network log for me please to see if there are any disconnections reported?

Also the next time the broadband disconnects try to log into the router and post the downstream/upstream figures, just to see if anything changes.

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jingsley
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thanks for posting:

The disconnects don't happen every single day, but definitely most days. Tonight it happened while no one was using the internet at 19:26, as usual.

I didn't see your post until 30 minutes later, but here are our current network figures:

Capture.PNG

The issue affects wired and wireless devices as the router just completely reboots itself.

On the phone to Virgin atm, but last time I called, I was just told that it was down to a fault in the area (which is now fixed). Let's see what they say this time...

Jonathan

0 Kudos