Menu
c241g
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Modem Mode

Hello. I have been with NTL since around 1999. I have been and gone a few times over the last 17 years or so and now I am back with Virgin. I am a gamer and have been using wifi now for a few months and have noticed that I am getting delays and it is causing me to die a lot. I have 3 cables connected to my house, 2 upstairs and one downstairs. I am trying to connect my modem to my PC upstairs and it won't go online.

I am wondering if someone from Virgin Media can please confirm that all my cables are working, I know the one downstairs is, that's where my modem and wifi are atm.

Account number ##############

Area reference 26

Thanks 

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unknown Mode

c241g wrote:

Hello. I have been with NTL since around 1999.

What was your setup back then? Two boxes one modem one router yes? If not its because the modem was hiding and you didn't know causing you not to understand and why your post and title is wrong.

So what has VM given you and what mode is it in.
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl...

likely your in router mode and the cable you have for running upstairs is no good so get a new one that CAT6 and shielded.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was assuming OP had various internal points installed over the times he/she joined/left VM

Maybe upstairs cables are coax points originally for HUB in spare room or TiVo in bedroom?

In which case its likely only the most recent is still connected (downstairs one) = the others being taken off the external splitter at the new install?

Hence why HUB connected to them gets no signal?

To summarise for OP

It seems the upstairs cable you are connecting to no longer works. Your best bet is powerline adapters or internal CAT5E cabling to take your connection upstairs as to move your HUB would be chargeable.

LOL so Legacy and I both reached the same conclusion through different assumptions.

0 Kudos
c241g
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have 3 white cables, one of them from outside into the living room. The other 2 from outside up the outside wall into the attic then split into two down into 2 bedroom. The last time I was with Virgin I was able to use the modem (No router) Up in my bedroom. I used modem mode because that is what I am trying to use.  Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
c241g
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have 3 white cables, one of them from outside into the living room. The other 2 from outside up the outside wall into the attic then split into two down into 2 bedroom. I have had that set-up since day one. Last time about 2 years ago I was able to use upstairs. I don't need powerlines as I have one of the fastest routers on the market and wifi receiver, I don't think powerlines will help me, it is still an over the air connection. I want to be able to try direct connect as I am a gamer, everything else is fine, no signal drops or anything. I don't know. I'll just ring them. Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You say in your first post “that's where my modem and wifi are atm” whats doing the wireless?

0 Kudos
c241g
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin Media Modem and an integrated router.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

c241g wrote:

The Virgin Media Modem and an integrated router.

Then your not in modem mode your in router mode there's a difference, modem mode is what you had with NTL since around 1999 their was no router mode just a modem to which you connect a router to if needed.

0 Kudos
c241g
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I know I am not in modem mode, now. I want to be in modem mode but I can't because it isn't working upstairs.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Guess you have to ask VM to do the move which seems to be £99 or you can run Ethernet cable to where you want.

0 Kudos