Menu
Highlighted
kameelhatta
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Me and friends are experiencing a lot of lag spikes throughout games.

Me and my friends all use virgin media and we experience massive lag spikes that make games unplayable. We all experience them at the same time, and even when we aren't even playing together on the same server. We play games such as Overwatch and Teamfortress 2 and the same lag occurs between them.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
mbulliva
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Me and friends are experiencing a lot of lag spikes throughout games.

I'm afraid this is because you have the Hub 3.0 modem and router.  There is a known issue with latency spikes when using this device due to the Intel Puma 6 chipset which the Hub 3.0 uses.  Virgin knows about it but cannot actually fix it because it's down to Intel.

More info about it below:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency...

All Replies
mbulliva
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm afraid this is because you have the Hub 3.0 modem and router.  There is a known issue with latency spikes when using this device due to the Intel Puma 6 chipset which the Hub 3.0 uses.  Virgin knows about it but cannot actually fix it because it's down to Intel.

More info about it below:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency...

kameelhatta
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Will I just need to deal with this until it's fixed? Will it ever go back to normal?
0 Kudos
MonteXMat
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There is no other way of fixing this, unless you cry and beg for a Super Hub 2ac. However, they aren't very happy about giving them away.

Otherwise, we just have to wait for a fix.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi kameelhatta,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are having an issue with the broadband connection.

When I checked your connection, the upstream power levels are too high at + 54 dBmV and there has been a high amount of time-outs. I would like to arrange an engineer appointment to check this over for you and have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi kameelhatta,

As mentioned in my post I would like to book an engineer to check your broadband connection. If you can confirm some details, that would be great.

Your name and are you the account holder

Full address including postcode

Preferred contact number

Our appointments range from 8am - 12pm, 12pm - 4pm, or 4pm - 7pm Monday to Friday and between 8am - 12pm and 12pm - 4pm on a Saturday, would any of those work for you, giving a few days notice?

If you can give us a selection of 3 dates that you will be available, we will do our best with booking the appointment quite quickly but please allow for a few days for us to process this request. Also there must be a person over the age of 18 at the property for the duration of the appointment.

Sam

Virgin Media Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Spitfire16
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

While your connection stats need an engineer , if you have a Hub 3 the ping spikes and Packet loss will still remain , we're waiting for virgin/intel to release a firmware update issue to combat this issue , Press reports in March 2017 said firmware trails to "begin shortly"

0 Kudos
Pigpen
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When you organise the visit try and arrange for the engineer to bring a Superhub 2ac. Failing that, ask to be sent one, it may cost a few quid but the older router works well with the 200mbps service.

The Superhub 3 is the worst router I have ever had to deal with.

0 Kudos