Menu
Thomasmck98
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Low latency yet I still lag, why?

The three main games I play are Rainbow Six Siege, Rocket league and FIFA 16 and I have good connection on each of these games yet I still lag. On Rainbow Six Siege my connection is usually about 62 which isn't too bad but I still rubber band (bounce back) when I try to move. On Rocket league I usually have a connection of between 30-40 which is also pretty good but I still lag everywhere. And finally my connection on FIFA 16 is usually 3 bars yet I still lag on that as well. I cannot play many of these games anymore online as it is ruining the experience for me. I am wondering if anyone else has these issues and as to why this is happening to me?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
dissatisfied1
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Low latency yet I still lag, why?

I'm sorry but none of the replies here are good enough. Recommending not to use wireless? Sure, games are probably a little better on wired still but.. hello 2016 here? I've been playing games just fine on wireless for years now. You only have to take one look at the forums here to work out the issue isn't with wireless technology, maybe Virgins but overall not.

Simply put I'm stuck on wireless atm also and getting constant ping spikes, suggesting any of us should go wired at a possible cost when we already pay a more than reasonable amount for a service is a joke.

dissatisfied1
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

'Reasons' No, actually I'm 'stuck' on Wifi because having used it with no problems for online gaming and other things for years I'm now getting dropouts because I'm still on the ancient super hub or there is a line issue. If you tried googling you'd find out there is no end of wireless problems with that thing.

I used my own money and bought a home plug kit, which I should not have to do in the first place, but due to the plug shapes I can't use in the room with the hub as the plug sockets are too low down. I'm waiting for work to be done to re-wire those.

Wireless is a proven technology, I've had other friends on VM lately with problems and they have contacted VM and had engineers out and fixed. I'll be phoning soon also.

My point though, is that here on the VM forums it's always blame everything but VM first. And suggesting a customer pay extra money to possibly fix a problem that is most likely VM without investigating that first isn't good customer service.

So take your rudeness elsewhere.

0 Kudos

All Replies
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

wireless is bad for gaming.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hey Thomasmck98,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy I'm sorry to hear you're suffering from lag despite low latency whilst gaming.

Could I ask what device you're using for gaming? Is it using a wired or wireless connection? Does the lag occur throughout the day, or only at certain times? I've had a look at both your hub and local network segment, everything looks really good right now so I don't see any obvious issues to explain this.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Thomasmck98
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I use a PS4 and it is a wireless connection, it's not so bad during the day but I mostly use it at night and that's when it's worse
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thomasmck98

Thanks for getting back to us and confirming that. I can't see any issues when checking over your connection again.  For any stability when playing online I'd recommend using a wired connection. Can you give this a go and let us know if there is any improvement?  I've also included a link here with some tips on improving the wireless connection around the home which may help. 

Speak soon

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Thomasmck98
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

How would I connect an Ethernet cable between my PS4 and my router if one is upstairs and the other is downstairs?
0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Rising star
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Powerline Adaptors. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/18-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

It may not be a cure but it's a good place to start. Gaming on Wi-Fi is asking for trouble. As for rubber banding. Remember if you use any games that use P2P servers, if THEY (The Peer who is hosting the game) lag, so do you.
0 Kudos
dissatisfied1
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm sorry but none of the replies here are good enough. Recommending not to use wireless? Sure, games are probably a little better on wired still but.. hello 2016 here? I've been playing games just fine on wireless for years now. You only have to take one look at the forums here to work out the issue isn't with wireless technology, maybe Virgins but overall not.

Simply put I'm stuck on wireless atm also and getting constant ping spikes, suggesting any of us should go wired at a possible cost when we already pay a more than reasonable amount for a service is a joke.

StopItRawr
Rising star
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

dissatisfied1 wrote:

No, you've "stuck" yourself on Wi-Fi because reasons.

Powerline adaptors are cheap enough. Virgin, nor ANY ISP can support Wi-Fi other than making sure their equipment is sending out a signal. It is so prone to interference, which as each Wi-Fi device is localised will vary from person to person. You just have to Google "My Wi-Fi sucks for gaming" to see literally millions of hits from around the world.

A sanity check for any problem with networking issues, internet included is to reduce the variables. In this case, eliminating Wi-Fi as a potential issue will make sure if VM is indeed not providing the network stability it should be. Until you do that, nobody can help you.

0 Kudos
dissatisfied1
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

'Reasons' No, actually I'm 'stuck' on Wifi because having used it with no problems for online gaming and other things for years I'm now getting dropouts because I'm still on the ancient super hub or there is a line issue. If you tried googling you'd find out there is no end of wireless problems with that thing.

I used my own money and bought a home plug kit, which I should not have to do in the first place, but due to the plug shapes I can't use in the room with the hub as the plug sockets are too low down. I'm waiting for work to be done to re-wire those.

Wireless is a proven technology, I've had other friends on VM lately with problems and they have contacted VM and had engineers out and fixed. I'll be phoning soon also.

My point though, is that here on the VM forums it's always blame everything but VM first. And suggesting a customer pay extra money to possibly fix a problem that is most likely VM without investigating that first isn't good customer service.

So take your rudeness elsewhere.

0 Kudos