Menu
Kryndon
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Losing connection every 3-4 minutes for 10 seconds while gaming and browsing the net

A couple months ago me and my housemates bought cables and now we enjoy 100 mbp/s speed.

HOWEVER, since a week ago we've been getting disconnected from the internet every so often, on a regular basis. While I'm playing Diablo 3 for example, or when my friend is playing that Rocket League on this Playstation (both using cable).

I just tried only using WiFi, same deal. I have tried resetting and hard booting the router, also no effect. We called up tech support and the guy said he reset our settings on the router and made it load faster. However I am still loosing connection and any online game is literally unplayable.

Can we actually get some proper help here? It's the 21st century and a good Internet connection should be a given, if not sufficient help should be offered.

Sorry for the negativity but this is simply too frustrating.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Losing connection every 3-4 minutes for 10 seconds while gaming and browsing the net

If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here. If you attach screen shots then they will not be visible to most of us until they are approved by a moderator so pasting text is better, don't worry about the formatting.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread in a few days and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Losing connection every 3-4 minutes for 10 seconds while gaming and browsing the net

If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here. If you attach screen shots then they will not be visible to most of us until they are approved by a moderator so pasting text is better, don't worry about the formatting.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread in a few days and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Kryndon
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

EDIT: Sorry, when I copy/paste the tables it gets gumbled up and doesn't let me post it the way it appears.

EDIT 2: I made 3 screenshots and put them in an album here on Imgur (safe site, don't worry) http://imgur.com/a/rfQ83

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I got an email with your original post and one of the upstream channels was showing a power level of 53 which is too high as the max recommended is 50 and could cause disconnections.  When I look at the screen shots the upstream power levels are both below 50. I'd keep an eye on the upstream power levels and see if they keep going above 50. If the upstream power levels are regularly fluctuating above 50 then that is your problem.  

To get power levels corrected usually requires an engineer visit.  You can call VM and try to book an engineer appointment or wait for the VM forum staff to pick this thread up in a few days and they can help arrange a visit.

0 Kudos
Kryndon
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Last time we tried to get an engineer over here they told us we need to pay 90 pounds for him, so that is pretty much out of the question.

I am not sure how I can effectively keep an eye on the powerlevels as I do not know how to datalog the router's status.

Also as a precautionary measure I just did full virus/malware scans (which turned up clean), and reinstalled Battle.net and Diablo itself. I'll give it a go and see if anything's changed.

P.S: I watched a video on youtube of a guy fixing his superhub. He took a hammer and smashed it to bits. Do you think that could help??

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If the engineer is visiting to fix a fault then you don't have to pay.  I was thinking you could look at the Upstream status screen whenever you experience a drop out to see if the power levels have climbed above 50.

If you are just going to be facetious about talk about smashing up VM's equipment then it is probably best I bow out and let the VM forum staff get to this thread in a few days and see what their tests reveal.

0 Kudos
Kryndon
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sometimes adding humour to situations like this helps relieve the frustration. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your help as we're somewhat getting somewhere. 

I'll try to monitor the upstream levels like you say and see what happens. Hopefully a VM official can also chime in here.

0 Kudos
Kryndon
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Right so I can confirm that whenever I get an interruption in-game, the Upstream power level goes above 50 (up to 70). So you were right.

Does this mean it's a faulty superhub?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Its likely a fault with your cable line to the super hub or area fault.

0 Kudos
Kryndon
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Please can I get some help? This topic has been marked solved but it has not been the slightest.

0 Kudos