Menu
Vrostus
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Latency when playing World of Warcraft

Hi,

When playing World of Warcraft, I notice I get latency issues when looting or trying to interact with the world sometimes. Below are the results of a tracert (not sure if the bits I scrubbed out are deemed sensitive).WoW Tracert 20.11.17.PNG

Regards

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency when playing World of Warcraft

HI Vrostus

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to hear you were having an issue playing WoW at the time of your post.

Hows your gaming experience been since you posted?

I've run some checks and everything looks fine this end

Can you let us know if you're connecting on a hard wired or wireless connection?

Keep in touch!

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Vrostus
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen_A,

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming that everything is ok at Virgin Media's end, and to answer your question, I am on a wired connection. I still experienced latency tonight when accepting a quest, which after reading your post prompted me to again check the WoW technical forums. Somebody created a post stating they were having the same problems as me, and they are on the same server. I have followed the Blizzard employee's suggestion tonight of clearing out addons and installing the latest drivers for my graphics card, which fingers crossed should hopefully resolve the problem. It's worth noting that since creating this post, I have been playing Ark Survival on my PS4 (wireless connection) and everything has been fine. You can mark this as a closed case.

Thanks
Vrostus

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Vrostus, 

Thank you for getting back in touch to let us know. 

I hope that things look better on WOW now Smiley Happy

If you need any help in the future we will always be happy to take a look. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
bannstar
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

just in case somene else reads this...

I see you have used worldofwarcraft.com URL this is for the usa

You need to trace to eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com or better still find the url/ip address for your server.

There are several factors that could cause you an issue, could be addon related as you have found also

these steps can help - Source

Network Card Support
Updated: 3 weeks ago

Article ID: 32245

Relevant Games:

Common Problems

Basic troubleshooting for network card issues.

For the Mac® equivalent, visit our Mac Software Updates & Software Upgrades guide.

Network errors may cause issues like: other players running in place, a delay after casting a spell or performing some other action, or NPCs or players showing up as Unknown. Follow these steps to resolve any issues:

Update the drivers for your network adapter. If you're not sure what drivers you need, perform a web search with the exact model number of your network adapter.
Make sure your networking hardware (external modem, PCI card, etc.) has the latest firmware and drivers installed.
Changing your network card settings may correct the issue. Follow the steps below for your operating system.
Windows® 7
Click Start.
Type Device Manager in the search field and press Enter.
Expand the Network Adapters section.
Right-click your network card and select Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Note: The following options may not be available for your network card.
Try disabling the Checksum Offload or Hardware Checksumming option,
Try changing the Speed/Duplex option to 100 Mbps Full Duplex. If you have an older router you may need to use 10 Mbps Full Duplex.
If you see a Power Management tab, click it and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
Windows® 8
Press Windows Key+Q.
Type Device Manager in the search field and press Enter.
Click Device Manager.
Click the Advanced tab.
Try disabling the Checksum Offload or Hardware Checksumming option.
Try changing the Speed/Duplex option to 100 Mbps Full Duplex. If you have an older router you may need to use 10 Mbps Full Duplex.
If you see a Power Management tab, click it and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
Windows® 10
Click Start.
Type Device Manager press Enter.
Click the Advanced tab.
Try disabling the Checksum Offload or Hardware Checksumming option.
0 Kudos
andrew1056
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have a similar problem since moving on to virgin, not my choice, i might add. Have spoken to Blizzard they suggested i contact the ISP!

I quote "The traceroutes which you provided looked good as these are very small amounts of data being sent. However the route taken to reach our servers may be causing some problems due to the data handling of some services which can cause latency or higher pings due to the amount of data being transferred whilst playing and the priority of this data. I would highly suggest contacting your ISP as this is definitely something Blizzard cannot fix.

You should ask them if there were any issue with your landline ? Have they updated it lately ? If not, do they need to update it ? Also, can you ask them to 'reset' your internet connection ?"

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

andrew1056 wrote:

I have a similar problem since moving on to virgin, not my choice, i might add. Have spoken to Blizzard they suggested i contact the ISP!

I quote "The traceroutes which you provided looked good as these are very small amounts of data being sent. However the route taken to reach our servers may be causing some problems due to the data handling of some services which can cause latency or higher pings due to the amount of data being transferred whilst playing and the priority of this data. I would highly suggest contacting your ISP as this is definitely something Blizzard cannot fix.

You should ask them if there were any issue with your landline ? Have they updated it lately ? If not, do they need to update it ? Also, can you ask them to 'reset' your internet connection ?"

Blizz, how can you be that right and that wrong all in 1 go? The last bit is total tosh!

0 Kudos
Funsponge
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I currently have 100-200ms during the evenings in warcraft, other european services are around 20-25. This appears to be a routing issue. Please address it.

0 Kudos