Menu
Grumpier
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Latency issues since Bedford/Luton maintenance work on 16th Feb - how do I contact local support team?

Seem to be experiencing significant latency type issues gaming on my PC since last weeks maintenance work in the  area.

Spoke with tech support Monday who made changes to my superhub. Phoned back 20 mins later with same problem and was advised an engineer would visit today with a new superhub. Today, phoned to check that an engineer was visiting and advised that one had not been booked, there was problem in the area etc etc. Escalated to a manager who advised that the next engineer available is on 2nd March !!! He says that he booked something but provided no times or anything, he also said he had raised a complaint with Area Manager to check for any faults in the area....

....so many mixed messages and no firm commitment to do anything.

There is definitely a fault somewhere, my PC is fine as last evening having experience significant problems, I disconnected from my broadband and connected the PC to my 4G service, everything worked without problem for 90 minutes. Within 5 minutes of switching back to broadband, game experiences lag type problems.

Something like this happened once before a few years ago when VM were doing an upgrade, eventually engineer visited, showed him some tracert info and he phoned his colleague, got something changed and everything was fine.

How can I get the right info to the right person to get this issue properly investigated?

0 Kudos
Grumpier
Tuning in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency issues since Bedford/Luton maintenance work on 16th Feb - how do I contact local support tea

live BQM graph...

My Broadband Ping - Gruimpy069

0 Kudos
Arrit
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency issues since Bedford/Luton maintenance work on 16th Feb - how do I contact local support tea

I am also in the Bedford/Luton area and am having the same issues.

0 Kudos
Splintz
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Started last Tuesday for me with unstable ping, big spikes and games freezing up for 10 - 30 seconds at a time every 5 - 10 minutes.

I had an engineer out yesterday who changed all my connections and gave me a new Superhub 3 which is the 3rd Superhub I have had connected since last Tuesday and no improvement.

I've downloaded Pingplotter and tested it on bbc.co.uk and the graphs shows the latency is not stable and i get big spikes every few minutes.

I live in Bedford.

Please can someone give us some feedback on whats going on because no one i speak to from Virgin seems to know.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Arrit
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Here is my graph from the 13th of Feb with little to no packet loss. All the previous days were the same.

01c4fc4d34e716c26d31cfe22c22ee5d-13-02-2017

Starting on the 14th there is a massive rise in dropped packets. Here is the graph from yesterday.

8718c78cdc1ac284b2174836c65793a8-22-02-2017

There does seem to be a problem. 

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Arrit,

Not sure if you're aware but the SH3's have inherent hardware issues relating to the Puma6 chipset. The long an short of it is this: you won't get a stable connection especially when gaming is concerned as it is reliant on latency much more than bandwidth. Not sure what the official stance is from VM but you're likely going to continue having issues until the firmware is fixed.

Although I could be entirely wrong.

It could be due to SnR but again, I'm no expert in relation to this but I know from past experiences that if they're out of their specified bounds the connection could become unstable, this is somewhat out of your control and VM will normally send an engineer out to fit an attenuator to the coax inside the house before the modem to bring the signal levels back to normal.

0 Kudos
Arrit
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have been on the same connection for a year now and it has been acceptable. Only had a problem in the last week or so. Nothing has changed connection wise from my side.

0 Kudos
Grumpier
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Same here, playing the same game without problem (other than the single core network fault mentioned in OP) for over three years.

Surely something must have changed within the network - either intentional config or a fault. Most users don't notice as download speeds are good.

0 Kudos
Grumpier
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

BTW, mine is a super hub 2

0 Kudos
Grumpier
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

typical pingplotter.... 

Untitled.jpg