Menu
najjun
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency higher than Virgin Media engineer tools shows

Fast is showing 77Mbps

My issue is that the latency on the ping test to www.google.com via the VM service is 24ms, the same ping via BT Infinity was 9ms.

And dont forget, still unexplained,  my neighbour on VM broadband L 50Mb netflix is 74Mb whilst my service on VM vivid100

VM claims to be the true fibre broadband service and double faster than BT.

0 Kudos
najjun
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 41
Flag for a moderator

SpeedOF speed test 29sep17 1940.png

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 23 of 41
Flag for a moderator

najjun wrote:

<snip>

My issue is that the latency on the ping test to www.google.com via the VM service is 24ms, the same ping via BT Infinity was 9ms. <snip>

That's not bad for VM or BT . I've posted my results below and these are fairly consistent over the years I've had the services. I've never had a low ping and I think it's because I'm at the extreme end of VM's cable network. They don't go beyond this area.

BT Circuit to www.google.com

Ping statistics for 2a00:1450:4009:80b::2004:
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 19ms

VM Circuit to www.google.com

Ping statistics for 216.58.201.36:
Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 222ms, Average = 36ms

RidingTheFlow
Fibre optic
Message 24 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Adduxi wrote:

VM Circuit to www.google.com

Ping statistics for 216.58.201.36:
Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 222ms, Average = 36ms

Average 30ms is to be expected with DOCSIS (internet-over-coax). Unfortunately as shared medium it will never be as fast as point-to-point xDSL line.

222ms is probably the SH3 (Puma 6) spiking.

najjun
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Why has no Virgin Media engineers joined to this post? If your phone support is ignoring the proofs I have given when comparing a broadband size L 50Mb showing higher speeds then my Vivid100 service, at least you VM engineers in this community should care.

Come on, lets see you see assist in this matter, rise up to this challenge. I know that Virgin Media is a true fibre broadband and is capable of improving my link. I seriously the problem may lie with the Hub6 or other, I can see the difference when I am browsing the internet in comparison to when I used to be on much slower downlinks with EE and BT before.

0 Kudos
RidingTheFlow
Fibre optic
Message 26 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Engineers don't post on this forum.

Other support staff can (and probably will) reply in a ~week, but they will not be able to do anything anyway. Its just how superhub 3 is, and current VM policy seems to be "take it or leave it". Though you may be able to get SH2AC if you are lucky & determined (look at main thread).

najjun
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I want Vm tech support to try a HUB2AC on my service.

Hello VM Tech support, can you pick this request and get in touch with me.

0 Kudos
GMAN73
Superfast
Message 28 of 41
Flag for a moderator

najjun wrote:

I want Vm tech support to try a HUB2AC on my service.

Hello VM Tech support, can you pick this request and get in touch with me.

Good luck with that as they want to force their crap Superhub 3 on every customer even though its junk.

0 Kudos
Drewley
Up to speed
Message 29 of 41
Flag for a moderator

@najjun

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there's nothing wrong with your connection (at least from a throughput stance). You said yourself in your first post that you're seeing 100mbit/s from speedtest.net.

As far as I, or anyone else knows, speedtest.net isn't lying to you, and isn't "rigged".

The difference in results you're seeing between speedtest.net and X,Y,Z speedtest website is that that speedtest.net has a server within VM's network, therefore cutting out any upstream capacity / peering issues.

TL;DR: If speedtest.net is showing the correct speed, there's nothing wrong with your middle / last mile connection (from virgin's network to your computer). If you are having issues with a specific website, by all means let us know, and you can compare your results with others.

0 Kudos
najjun
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for you reply.

As explained above, my ping to google.com is 21ms and this has always been 9ms with BT and EE at much slower service packages. I also notice the speed of painting any pages on any website is slower then before when it used to be lightning fast. I also notice on the TV netflix is showing 30Mb on my service in comparison to my neighbour who is getting 74Mb on a slower Virgin Media service. I also notice that same speedtests that used to show 9ms on my service are now showing 21Ms and above. All the signs are there for someone who is sitting here and has seen what it used to be like with other providers.

0 Kudos