Menu
najjun
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Latency higher than Virgin Media engineer tools shows

I am new subscriber to Virgin Media at HA3 0NS at Area 21. I am subscribed to Vivid100 and have a Hub3 here. The engineer used the VM provided mobile phone test to prove to me that my service is 100% perfect, and ookla speedtest to show speeds of 100Mb and ping of 9ms. Yet all the other broadband website tests, and ping test from a wired and wireless computer on my network are showing much higher ping results. Netflix network test is showing a speed of 30Mb. VM engineers do not want to know any of my tests, they only believe their own tests. My computers here are wired and wireless. I have gigabit switches only. My Virgin green street box is literally 200 yards from my house.

When I run web broadband speedtest on OOKLA it shows Ping 9ms, Download 108Mb and Upload of 6Mb yet when I run other speedtests 

(1) http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ Ping 37ms Down 108Mb Up 6Mb

(2) http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest Ping 31ms Down 106Mb Up 6Mb

How can I PROVE to them that their tests are manipulated results! That their really is a latency and speed problem here on my connection. I am quite network savvy so please go ahead and be technical.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency higher than Virgin Media engineer tools shows

najjun wrote:

I am new subscriber to Virgin Media at HA3 0NS at Area 21. I am subscribed to Vivid100 and have a Hub3 here. The engineer used the VM provided mobile phone test to prove to me that my service is 100% perfect, and ookla speedtest to show speeds of 100Mb and ping of 9ms. Yet all the other broadband website tests, and ping test from a wired and wireless computer on my network are showing much higher ping results. Netflix network test is showing a speed of 30Mb. VM engineers do not want to know any of my tests, they only believe their own tests. My computers here are wired and wireless. I have gigabit switches only. My Virgin green street box is literally 200 yards from my house.

When I run web broadband speedtest on OOKLA it shows Ping 9ms, Download 108Mb and Upload of 6Mb yet when I run other speedtests 

(1) http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ Ping 37ms Down 108Mb Up 6Mb

(2) http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest Ping 31ms Down 106Mb Up 6Mb

How can I PROVE to them that their tests are manipulated results! That their really is a latency and speed problem here on my connection. I am quite network savvy so please go ahead and be technical.

Ping depends on a number of factors, the first is distance, if the speedtest servers are closer to you then the ping will be lower, there is also the hub3 latency issue (see the superthread) which will cause an increase in latency under load

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Those pings seem about right, I just got 36.63 on the BT test. Your speeds also look fine for the VIvid100 service.

Don't worry about the Netflix speedtest, 30Mb is normal as there's currently no need for anything higher (even a UHD stream only needs 25Mb) but you can use www.fast.com to test your connection to Netflix beyond 30Mb.

0 Kudos
najjun
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

I will continue monitoring, I need to find a method to prove that this Vivid100 service is slower then any service I have been previously subscribed to with EE or BT. HD videos from Netflix stutter at times, even accessing the HUB takes longer then it should.

I need to know of technical tests whose results Virgin Media will accept as gospel.

0 Kudos
Drewley
Up to speed
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

You're never going to get single digit pings on virgin's DOCSIS network.

35ms is absolutely acceptable, I hate to play devil's advocate, but virgin are correct here.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

The best thing to do would be post some traceroutes to sites that are affected by high pings so VM can see if there is a problem, and at what point it occurs (note: some of Virgin's servers don't respond to ping requests, so don't worry about timeouts in the results)

0 Kudos
najjun
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I will get tracert and post here as well to see if anyone can spot red warnings.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Drewley wrote:

You're never going to get single digit pings on virgin's DOCSIS network.

35ms is absolutely acceptable, I hate to play devil's advocate, but virgin are correct here.

I've seen <10 ms pings on other peoples Speedtests on this forum and on cableforum. 

0 Kudos
DM39
Tuning in
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 50 package.

Since VM broadband was installed in middle of August, i never had a ping more than 7-9. A week ago i started to get 16 ping constant. ( SpeedTest)

Have no idea what happened. Maybe cables (which are outside) got damaged somehow....

P.S. area 21

0 Kudos
RidingTheFlow
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

(Ookla) Speedtest "pings" are very dubious - I have no idea how they are calculated since they are way too low.

For real ping (roundtrip), use either ping utility or Broadband Quality Monitor.

0 Kudos