Menu
ashtrial
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Latency / MS issues w/ Data (on-off peak)

Long post inc, im cramming as much data as I can here to solve the issue, since no-one in the speed part of the forum can find an issue. I know you guys love your data, I have loads more but due to formatting have included minimal.

Background: I have had issues since December which high latency and ping issues in all of my games I go from being 20 - 40 ms at 18:30, with incremental increases until it reaches 19:00 where all my games are unplayable. My download speed always hits 150mb+, just latency and ms issues.

The same games work fine until 7pm, which lead me to believe it was a utilization problem at peak times, although VM say and my graphs show it, a fix occurred to add data capacity to our area on Friday 21st-22nd (Graph below). My connection was actually working, for 36 hours, then after that, the same problem cropped up. Now my cousin who also had the same issue but much more severe has not run into the same problem, his is working fine to date, which lead me to doing additional tests on my connection, despite nothing changing hardware or software wise between those 36 hours.

After several phone calls and one or two people with similar problems to my situation, also posted of latency and high MS after 7pm, also after the fix. Although VM say they have kept an eye on the connection and they cannot detect anything which was the exact same word for word sentence they told us throughout December and midway January that they cannot find any faults or utilization problems (they said at max we have 5%, and a ticket is opened at 10%), so why would they solve an issue if they could not detect anything? Exact same situation I am in now again.

In the end despite NOT telling their engineers or supervisor engineer who had visited multiple times (7 visits in total including other engineers) the day before, they did a capacity upgrade in the area and on January 22nd at 6am, mine and others BQM graph noticed a massive difference, as did i..... for the next 36 hours.

My Broadband Ping - vm

Note: You can vastly see the difference once the modems within the area were restarted at 6am for the capacity upgrade (the day prior was also low considering what I have had in the past). Prior to this the maximum and average latency were off the chart. Either way after the added capacity I suffered no lag or latency in ANY games, the max I was getting was 60ms during peak times, no warping, catch up or stuttering for the next 2 days (36 hours).

Then my problem started again, I rang up in frustration and they ran a few tests, in the end they said the exact same word for word that they cannot find any issues, so it feels like Deja vu. Except my cousin down the road is not getting the same problem. In the end I ran multiple trace routes to identify the problem.

Ping and Trace Route tests (MODEM MODE ONLY)

Multiple tests, one before 18:30/19:00, and one after as soon as i experience that the game is unplayable, multiple spikes, jumping, catch up, warping etc... (I classify 19:00 as peak for me, as that is when the problem occurs)

Time   / Latency   / State
Surfing Web
17:00 / NA / Perfect Ran Non Peak Tests
Start Game League of Legends
18:00 / 30 - 40 / Perfect
18:39 / 30 - 60 / First Lag Spike
18:40 / 30 - 40 / Perfect
18:43 / 50 - 60 / Second Lag Spike
Switch Game Counter Strike
18:44 / 30 - 60 / Playable
18:50 / 30 - 120 / Third Lag Spike
18:55 / 50 - 70 / Warping, Constant Spikes
18:59 / 50 - 70 / Constant Warping, Constant Spikes
19:00 / 100 - 120 / Unplayable
19:02 / 110ms / Closed Game, Ran Peak tests.

BBC Ping Tests, Before and After
Before Peak

After Peak

BBC Trace Route Tests, Before and After
Before Peak

After Peak

League Of Legends EUWest TraceRoute Tests, Before and After
Before Peak

After Peak

Diablo 3 Europe Server TraceRoute Tests, Before and After
Before Peak

After Peak

0 Kudos
ashtrial
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency / MS issues w/ Data (on-off peak)

Continued.....

I have much more data, but its harder too get the formatting right with pictures, I should of exported them to text file. They all show the same data, that my connection spikes higher after peak time, all the time bang on 7 o clock. I understand utilization, but I have rung up and confirmed its not high enough and with the upgrade in the area they are assuring me that utilization is defiantly not a problem after the capacity upgrade. Although they said the same thing through out December and the start of January, until they randomly issued a fix, that the forum members or even the supervisor engineer was not aware off. Despite that 36 hours after the "upgrade", here i am.

So my question is why am I suffering this connection when It was fine for 36 hours after the upgrade, Im sure it did something otherwise my connection would of been the same during said hours, but it improved for those 36 hours.

Its defiantly not a hardware or software as I have tested multiple times with different connections, prior and after the upgrade, as well as moving the superhub downstairs to use the coaxial of the tivobox to eliminate the original coaxial cable being the problem. Weird how it was fine for 36 hours, then went back to how it was since December when we made the jump to 200mb. . We do not download heavily, and the second line has told us we should not be experiencing this connection from a throttle, utilization point of view which is what they said in December prior to the supposed fix.

I have done so much on my end, and I was hoping to not have to do anymore work especially on my week off, but here I am again, showing data that there is something wrong with the routing, or I am being throttled or traffic managed far to hard after 7, despite my gaming latency and ms being fine outside the evening hours.

0 Kudos
Swinder
Up to speed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well it appears the issues are returning for me as well, not as bad as it was previously but definitely more noticeable over the last couple of days. At first it was just the odd bit of rubber banding in CSGO, some general lag in Diablo 3 but now I am starting to see the issues more frequently outside of games.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi iVannity,

Sorry to hear this has started up again. I've checked your connection and the contention looks normal now. There is currently a separate fault open in the area under ticket F004175370 which will cause slow speeds and disconnections and is due to close 04/02/16. Your upstream power levels are also too high which may be caused by the fault so we'll need to wait for the 4th before we check again. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
gendie754
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This issue might be because your IPS is putting you on a bad route to game server. There are many hops from you to game server which is causing this lag every time you play online. Use Kill Ping. It will bypass all those hops and will connect you directly to the game server with the shortest route possible. World great against CS:GO Lag.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi iVannity,

I've checked your connection again and the fault is closed now but your upstream power levels are still too high.

Let's get a technician out to get that sorted. I've just sent you a private message to arrange the best time.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos