Menu
JeffCottonBWFc
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Lagging/Freezing on Runescape

Hey,

I seem to be having a big issue when playing Runescape. Obviously its not a high intensity game and doesn't require a lot to run so you would expect it to run perfectly fine. However in the past few weeks, the game suddenly and without warning will freeze completely for about 10-15 seconds at a time. There is not a direct cause in game, such as performing a certain action will cause the freeze so I'm led to think it may be a VM issue. 

The issues I'm having are outlined in further detail here: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/2emixy/serious_problem_with_client_freezing_the_past_2/

I have attempted all the bug fix instructions on the website but none of them seem to work and when talking to a techie said it may be a DNS problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lagging/Freezing on Runescape

Hi effCottonBWFc

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you are experiencing playing Runescape. Thanks for the link to your reddit thread too. I've had a check on your connection and everything is looking healthy. Hopefully a fellow Runescape player from the community will join in your thread if they have experienced these problems too. 

Kind regards

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
volvomanv70
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problems with playing Medal of Honour and it would appear to be a huge problem with all sorts of games if these forums are to be believed.This has been like this for some months now and it is so frustrating trying to play the game with constant freezing and drop outs.
0 Kudos
LdGallifryan
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I am also getting the same issues and other drastic issues even with Runescape, Just Cause 3, The Secret World and Rift.

Freeze's and Dropout's.. After and before 200Mbps came out and after 152Mbps came out..

I have tried using someone else's Network a few doors up my street and used my expensive external router (RT-AC3200) on another VM line .. And it works perfectly.. And tried another few doors up a (BT) line with my equipment.. Smartphones tablets and PC as well as the router.. Works flawlessly..

All I keep getting from the monkeys (Staff) at Virgin Media, that my connection is stable and it must be your equipment... Never believing you on what is been going on for a long while..

I have been fobbed off by VM a lot of times and by there engineers.. Paying £105 a month for a bad service.. I cannot even access Netflix or on demand on TiVo.. And I was offered a SH 3.0 but they never. Brought one.. So again its bad customer service.. I have been a longtime sucker customer since 1997-99.. I preferred it when you got a Scottish person on the other end of the phone . helpful and non accusing your equipment to be the failure..

I have played Runescape since classic came out so over 17 years!! I want to play that and many other games with ease..

0 Kudos
JakePasquill
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What seems to be happening is Java is attempting connections to RS databases every few server ticks, which is insanely stupid, but it happens..

Your network may drop for even a few seconds, causing those connections to fail, making it try again and again, throwing Java exceptions over and over until the "Connection Lost - Trying to re-establish a connection" comes up, but that usually takes around 10-15 seconds itself, so the client freezes until then and if you try to resize or move the window, it goes black (non-responsive).

Your question is, what is causing the momentary disconnection which causes the crashing of the client?..

To me that seems like it could be a pain to diagnose, you may need to monitor your network with some sort of software to try capture the moment it drops, and how long it lasts, this may give VM an idea of what it could be..

Just to recap, your issue *IS* slightly internet related, but the symptoms you see are Java related.

---------

I'll always try my best to help, although my advice may not always lead to a solution. Take it as you wish, I just like to help Smiley Happy
0 Kudos