Menu
pilotltd
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Lag spikes

Having constant lag spikes and packet loss playing online games. Restarting router clears it for a short while then it returns. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag spikes

Hi pilotltd

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing packet loss and lag spikes.

From checking your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004496785 and with a review date of 11th January.

Are you playing through PC/Xbox/PS?

Is it connected through wired/wireless?

Do you notice this issue just at peak hours?

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor please as this will check the performance of your broadband.

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
pilotltd
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
pilotltd
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
pilotltd
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Pathetic speed test results tonight too http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=147682211613165757072 AV turned off no external programs running.
0 Kudos
pilotltd
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wired connection via PC - the service is appalling with a less than helpful call centre who do no more than reboot the router and tell me "its because other people are using Virgin and it's to be expected at busy times" !!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi pilotltd,

Thanks for getting back to me.

With the packet loss/slow speeds during the evenings this will be due to the high peak time traffic fault in your area.

Considering the equipment you have with the level of broadband service, I think it is best to give you an up to date router, however this won't change the overall effects of the fault.  I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) requesting some details. 

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
pilotltd
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've cancelled my account. Gone to BT infinity. No lag spikes, no packet loss, low contention and they guaranteed minimum speed in writing. Ohh - nearly forgot - it's cheaper. All you have to advertise is fastest broadband, speed matters little, you can stream 4K TV on a 2Mb connection! Quality of signal is king.

0 Kudos