Menu
Seanw16
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Lag spikes when gaming

I have a problem when I'm gaming my ping will rise from 20 to like 150 sometimes 300 and then drops its like a 15-20 seconds then it's fine I use a Ethernet cable I play on pc and ps4 does the same on both. It was fine about 2-3 months ago I've had no problem I'm on the highest internet package with 200mb download etc. It's frustrating as the ping can rise in a gun fight that can lose me a tournament is there anyone that knows what the problem is
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag spikes when gaming

Hello Seanw16

Welcome to our forum, sorry you are having problems with lag spikes, it does sound most frustrating we will do what we can to help.

I have tested your connection and all the hub levels are looking good, historically it is all looking good also, area traffic is low and no noise issues. 

In short I am unable to see anything wrong, Do you have any devices using up bandwidth in the background as this may cause your gaming packets to queue? It may be a lag off our network, perhaps setting up a Broadband Quality Monitor would give a better picture.

Please keep us updated...

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Seanw16
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. I get lag spikes even when it's just me in the house with just my pc on I have the super hub 1 maybe it's too old need a new router not today sure but it lags when anyone on the internet really I have a Ethernet cable in and so I don't expect lag just don't no what the problem is
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Seanw16

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy I can't see anything that stands out as a problem when looking at your connection again. Do you still experience these lag problems with the hub in modem mode?

Is there any particular game that these problems happens on or is it happening with every game? 

Were you able to set up a BQM graph as Nicola suggested?

Speak soon Smiley Happy 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Seanw16
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Erm counter strike, call of duty, dota 2 it's pretty much most games I have the best package possible for internet as I play competitive could it be the router
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Seanw16

Thanks for confirming that so we know it's not just an issue when playing one particular game. Everything is looking healthy when checking your connection again. Were you able to set up a BQM graph as Nicola suggested and to see if modem mode makes any difference at all?  

Hope you had a good weekend,

Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Seanw16
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How do I get the graph thingy you said up? Thanks
0 Kudos
Seanw16
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i have just setted up a BQM graph i will post the picture of the graph tomorrow thank. 

0 Kudos
Seanw16
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Its always hard to tell what your devices are doing, not much to go on as to what your running I'm guessing the super hub in router mode? So do the following at some point and over night disable wireless and no Ethernet cables plugged in apart from the one doing the BQM ping which if its a PC make sure its not going to run anything a short high burst of traffic without QoS can buffer your ping by like 200-500ms. If you have your own router check its not doing auto speed test.

0 Kudos