Menu
ElliotL
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Lag spikes when gaming since Christmas

Since around Christmas, our Internet seems to be unable to cope with anyone gaming. It used to be fine, with an average ping of 36ms and lag spikes were extremely rare, however now it seems to be happening every game. Ping will jump between normal and around 60-80ms which is really distracting as it makes the game jumpy, and usually once per game it dumps to 300-600ms. Wondering why it has only recently changed, and why it hasn't been like this since we joined Virgin last Summer?

Thanks for any help in advance.

0 Kudos
Sky_Lord
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag spikes when gaming since Christmas

If you're using the Hub 3 then you may have a long wait, not Virgins fault but Intel who manufactures the Hub 3 has confirmed there is a major flaw with the Puma 6 chipset which several routers use and it causes serious lag spikes.

A firmware fix is being tested in the USA. When it's ready you can probably add on another 6 months for Virgin to issue it.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sky_Lord,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are having lag spikes whilst gaming.

Looking at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running stable.

With the device, whether it is PS4, XBox, PC, is that connected through a wired or wireless connection?

Are you able to post your ping tests and trace routes please, for us to check it over?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ElliotL
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha,

Below are the results from a ping to one of the servers I play on (you can see the spike) and a traceroute to BBC.

ping.JPGtracert.JPG

I play on a desktop connected with a wireless adapter, which has never had any issues until the last few months. It may be that we tend to play in the evening during peak time, but if that's the case then it's unacceptable that we're paying for your services (as students) to then be unable to play games or have full strength download/upload speed for several hours per day. It's ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there ElliotL,

Thanks for getting back to me and posting your ping/trace routes, I appreciate it.

From the information provided the pings are looking good and the trace route reached the destination. With the game server this is in France which could be the reason for the higher ping time.

I would recommend that you test with a wired connection as this has a better game-play than through wireless due to the interference.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos