Menu
protonoto
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Lag spikes on CSGO and Rocket League

Playing these two games my ping always stay around 50-60 (my friend in the same city gets 20-30) and every 2-3 minutes it'll shoot upto around 300-500 and sometimes time out. I'm not sure which speed I'm using as I'm not the bill payer, however I believe its the 30mb package. I have read some previous posts and started the BQM test which was started around 11am today. Download speeds seem to be slightly slower than usual too.

0 Kudos
protonoto
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag spikes on CSGO and Rocket League

bump

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi protonoto

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Many apologies that you are experiencing high pings when playing Rocket League and CSGO.

Looking at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. The network segment is running stable with no issues.

Can you post some ping results along with your BQM graph please for us to check?

Is this through a wired or wireless connection?

If you can complete a speed test through a wired connection and let us know the result please?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
protonoto
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi I'm using wireless as It's unfeasible for me to use wired (the superhub broadband line is very short) so I'm only able to use wireless. However the problem seems to be worse some days than others and I don't know what causes the difference. Here's the bqm: bqm.png 

As for my ping I've used speedtest and pingtest and it isn't very indicative of the problem as 80% of the time it remains stable. I have tried pinging csgo west and east servers and that also doesn't spike it only happens in game.

0 Kudos
protonoto
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

bump
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Your ping spikes ( ignoring the SH1 router mode problems for now) are the result of a device doing short download or upload bursts as none of the super hub/hubs do QoS you have to do that yourself.

The second part to your problem is your using wireless which is just bad any way you look at it for gaming you can improve this by getting a better wireless router using your super hub in modem mode (which will be more then stable) and a new wireless adepter for your device.

0 Kudos
protonoto
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've used countless routers in the past and never had a problem, as I said I can't use wired due to distance. This is a problem that only happens with virgin and the superhub, I've also spoken to people with virgin who have the exact same problem and those who do not use virgin and are also one wireless have totally fine connections. I have days where it's extremely bad and some where there's no problems at all so I doubt it's due to distance from the router.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ask VM for another super hub/hub see if you be happy with that but it may cost you and really you could of put that cost to what I said but you do what you think is best.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi protonoto,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I have sent you a private message for us to discuss this further.

You can locate my message by clicking on the envelope icon near the top right corner of the Community page.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
protonoto
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have discovered what was causing my problem and this may be of use to other people experiencing periodic lag spikes. It happens due to the wireless network adapter scanning for new signals within the area, every time it did this my ping would spike up. The solution I used was downloading wlan optimizer and checking the "disable background scan" and "enable streaming mode" boxes which would disable the network scans.

0 Kudos