Menu
BenK
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Lag spikes, general sluggishness

Hi there,

I've been having problems with World of Warcraft recently as well as a gradual deteriation of general web use.  I initially thought it was a problem on Blizzard's end (other players were having problems a few days ago) and general overusage of the network in my area, but other players I've talked to don't have issues any more, so I figured I'd post here to see if I can get some feedback.

Essentially, I'm getting lag spikes.  The game will be running fine, then all incoming data seems to stop for a few seconds, before returning in a frantic burst of activity.  It's getting so frequent now that it's causing real problems.  However, I don't have serious problems with other games, and I wonder if it's because (as far as I know) WoW uses TCP for everything whereas other games rely on UDP.

Web browsing on media-heavy sites is also getting really slow.  Watching Youtube at anything over 480p is a challenge, and other sites like twitch, imgur, gfycat and so on feel sluggish.  Heavy downloading is fine - I can download stuff from Steam at full rate, for example - but it seems to take a while to "kick in".  Media that loads almost instantly at work (on what should be a comparable connection) takes about 10 seconds to get going here.

I'm using a power line adaptor, my broadband quality graph is here, downstream stats are here and upstream stats are here.

0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag spikes, general sluggishness

Hello there,

The power levels on your hub dont look too great to me.

Upsteam of 57 dBmv is right on the limits of being too high and only 1 channel? whats speed you meant to be on?

Downstream of -7 dBmv is also not ideal however in theory it can be lower and have no issues.

Have a look at the back of the super hub where the coax cable screws in and see if you have a small block called an "attenuator" on the back of it.

If possible can you test how your connection is without using the home plugs, they are well known for being somewhat glitchy and other than a spike on your thinkbroadband it should be very usuable internet. (unplug and reset all the homeplugs and reset router often shows up that the plugs were playing up)

Last thing... VM and world of warcraft are well known for having issues in the past.. Blizzard release a new patch and VM fail to update how there servers see the gaming packets and put them in low priority which causes lag spikes etc, VM being one of the slowest to update out off all the service providers.

0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sry for double post but i went to check on the upstream power level limits and you are indeed over with upstream level of 57 dBmv... Odds are you will need an engineer out who will have to drop you down a tap point in the cab on the street, 99% certain that is the cause of your problems along with -7 on the downstream, throw in VM's usual slowness with doing server updates with WoW and then you also having homeplugs = not very nice internet.

I had an engineer out to drop me down a tap point in the cab, or should i say 5 engineers out as the first 2 were not allowed to open the cab (why send them to do that job? that VM for you), 2 didnt think there was a problem and wouldnt do it and then finaly the 5th was a "senior engineer" after complaining on here multiple times and he actually did the job or be it reluctantly (there was no room in the cab i think on the correct tap point so they had to move someone else etc etc etc blah blah)

Just to add... you got about 1 weeks wait for a reply on here from admin and if you phone in they are clueless and wont help you even if you tell them what the problem is.

BenK
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have an attenuator attached and avoiding the power line adaptors is tricky since the only access point is downstairs and this PC is upstairs. I'll see what I can do about getting the power levels fixed but I am reluctant to call because I'm worried they won't know what I'm talking about.
0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you did phone in they are just drones who read from scripts and anything more technical than turning stuff on and off is beyond them, best to wait for the Admin on here to pick your post up in a few days time and they can do some other checks for you and book you an engineer out also.

0 Kudos
imfr95
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am also experiencing issues like lag spikes similar to OP. Following is my ping, downstream, network and upstream log:

PingPingDownstreamDownstreamNetworkNetworkUpstreamUpstream

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi BenK, 

Thanks for letting us know about your lag spikes and general sluggishness of the connection, I apologise for any inconvenience.

I have run some diagnostics on your connection from here and I can see that all of your downstream power levels are too low and also you're only locking onto one upstream channel.

An engineer will be required to attend in order to resolve this for you, I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking.

Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos