Menu
Yani
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

LAN problem

We are having major LAN connection problem. Me and a housemate are trying to play old multiplayer games(Heroes 3,Age of Empires 2,Diablo2),but we can't establish connection between 2 laptops in the same household,using the same connection and router. We was able to connect to a room with GameRanger,but when the host launched the game,the other player droped out. We tried simple tcp/ip - no connection, we tried hamachi - ping was there but not connecting the games; we tried GameRanger - it said we can't connect because of the port-restricted Cone NAT router. So fine - we went to virgin's help section and found the tutorial for port-forwarding, we set it as instructed by virgin and GameRanger - the error disappiered,but now there is NO ping between the laptops and of course no connection. We disabled the port-forwarding, thinking it might changed something drasticly,but there's still no ping and connection. We called customer service several times for help,but all they did is made us restart the router,probably not listening and thinking it's an internet connection problem...So we are out of ideas.

The problem is not the internet connection - it's the fact that despite it we can't make a LAN connection,which is weird. Why, is my big question, and what can we do about it? LAN should be very much possible since we are in one house,using one router.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: LAN problem

If packets can't go from one port to the other reliably that says it all not that any of the super hubs/hub are meant for LAN stuff VM goal for router mode is many devices to internet which even that is not reliable for everything.

Best just put the super hub in modem mode and get your own router/setup.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

i doubt it is that the hub can't handle it - the hubs are well capable of multi-Gb file copies over LAN, so it is much likely to be an issue with old game protocols + new OS security features + firewalls

(PC to PC via 2 ports on Hub is not as fast as via a dedicated Gb switch but achieves 200- 300 MBs on cat 6 cables last time i did any relevant measurement  - so passing a few byes of sync data for old games should be trivial )

but maybe you can test taking the hub out of the loop by cabling the laptops together directly on a single cable, or via a cheap switch. - a 5 way ethernet switch is <£10

test also by temp turning off ALL firewalls everywhere, both laptops and hub

NB If you have upgraded from win 7 or 8 to w10, the default security settings break LAN.:  test by trying to access shared public files, then change network sharign settings until that works, then retry the games

e.g. on my w10 LAN ( where i don' use logins) I had to , on each w10 PC,  network and sharing centre -> advanced sharing settings -> turn off: use homegroup, turn off  password protection,  turn ON network discovery , enable folder & printer sharing, enable all to have public folder access.... then reboot everything, there are 3 sections of network security screens 9 public, prvate & ALL, I think)  , carefully check all of them

Yani
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

yeap - I was thinking like you - LAN shouldn't be a problem for the hub,but apparently it is Smiley Very Happy We are old time players and we are used to such problems,but this one is unusually strange,because we did played perfectly fine until a week ago (well at least Diablo and other games,but Heroes and Age don't want to connect for like a month now,yet they also worked fine before that) and we haven't done anything new on the laptops(no hardware or software instalations). We shared media and files in the homegroup,but now I can't see other devices except mine. I will try with cable now - direct LAN Smiley Very Happy see if that works if not...I don't know,maybe something happened to the windows (we both use 7),so I'll check that too. I know it's silly,they are old games,but still really good and we have such fun playing multiplayer that it's a shame we hit such pickle Smiley Happy Thanks for the info and ideas,I will see what happens and write again.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Proper old school is a 20 foot RS232 serial cable trailing from room to room.

we had one for the kids to play Quake on 2PCs at home back in the day.

Do it right Smiley Happy

more seriously, this "but now I can't see other devices except mine." suggests a windows networking headache that you need to sort out, before moving on.

if you don't need homegroup security, I'd disable  that on all devices in favour of simple shared folders and shared access