Menu
iAkmal
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is there something wrong with the internet in my area?

Hello!

First post here. We are on a 50MB package, but might upgrade soon. I play League of Legends a lot and have noticed a random high ping (up to 800) at random times. I don't really know what it is. No one is downloading or anything. At one point the speed is really good with 20MS but at random times it pops up to 800 for at least 5 seconds. Is there anything I can do?

EDIT I am using wired connection to the suberhub.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is there something wrong with the internet in my area?

Hi iAkmal,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting ping spikes. I've checked your connection and everything looks fine from here. Where do you see the high pings? Is this in a game? 

It may be worth setting up a BQM graph to keep a track of your ping. Head to thinkbroadband.com, click Tools and set up a broadband quality ping monitor.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

iAkmal
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply John! I'm getting these ping spikes whilst playing League of Legends. When team fights erupt, only then they occur. That's a big pain :/ I'll set up a BQM graph, thanks!
0 Kudos
iAkmal
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Okay sir, I set up the BQM graph, and played a game of League of Legends. The graph shows it too! 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for setting that up iAkmal,

I can see the minimum ping is spiking along with some packet loss which is pretty abnormal. This won't be just the connection to LoL if we can see if on the graph. Could you try the hub in modem mode for 24 hours? You'll have to set up another graph as this changes your IP address.

Modem mode also disables the router functions of the hub and only allows one devices to be connected. This will eliminate other devices on your network from being the possible cause.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
iAkmal
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply John. I've got good news! It was quite simple actually. I just had to turn the hub off for 30 seconds and then turn it back on. No more random ping spikes in game. I'm getting a solid 27ms which is great!

Thanks for being the only person to be there to help!

Have a nice day!
0 Kudos