Menu
Bond007uk
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is PS4 downloading slow or is just me. Help!

Hi guys.

So today I upgraded my PS4 hard drive from the small 500GB to a 2TB.  Now I've got to download some games and oh my god, how slow is it!  I need help!

I've just tried to download Battlefield 4 and it says it's going to take 25hrs!.  I've done a speed test on my PC and I'm showing a healthy 150mb/s.  The PS4 is wired and it's getting nowhere near this.  I know I can't expect 150mb/s downloads, but I should be getting faster than this, surely. What can I do to speed things up??

Help. Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is PS4 downloading slow or is just me. Help!

I have had a PS4 since launch and like you I went with a 2TB upgrade as I filled the 500GB very quickly.  In my experience the download servers are limited by Sony to around 70Mbps, but they even struggle to reach this speed on occasion.  I have found that pausing and then restarting a download can sometimes speed it up.  Some people say that putting the PS4 into rest mode can speed up downloads, in my experience it had the opposite effect.

I usually get better speeds in the morning, when presumable the servers are less busy or Sony have more available bandwidth.

The slow speeds from Sony have been true on the PS3 for years, but at least online gaming is free on PS3. I think they need to invest more of the income from the now (almost) mandatory PS Plus on PS4 to upgrade their network.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Bond007uk
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I have a forum post open on the PlayStation Forums with the same subject.  Two people on there suggest that I purchase another router and use my Superhub in modem mode as they claim the Superhubs are poor at routing.  The one they suggested was only £30 and another VM user on that forum says that their download speeds have vastly improved on the PS4 since doing this.

Well for £30, it might be an easy fix.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As you can see from my sig I use my own router with the hub in modem mode and always have so can't say if router mode is worse or not.

There is a free way to test it though, just put the hub into modem mode and connect just the PS4.  If speeds improve then a third party router might be worthwhile, if not then save your money.

I noticed you have another thread open about slow evening speeds which could be a result of high utilisation.  You might want to get confirmation from VM about that as a new router won't help if it is confirmed that your area is suffering from a peak time utilisation issue.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Bond007uk
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Don't want to tempt fate, but the speed seem to back to normal.  Well, mostly normal.  When I checked the speed yesterday evening I was getting around 120mb/s.  It did drop for a short while to 90mb/s but at 10pm when I was experiencing very slow PS4 downloads, the speed test on the PC said it was 150mb/s.  So, I think it's better now, touch wood.

I'll give the modem mode, I'll have a go next time I have a big download on the PS4.  I've still got to download the Uncharted collection, so I may try it then.

Thanks

0 Kudos