Menu
Juliedesmond1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet disconnects

Hi,

My two sons play PC alot and they have been complaining that the internet keeps disconnecting.

We have two CAT6 wired Ethernet cables going into each pc

It seems to disconnect when they are both on but i can't tell for sure

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet disconnects

As you have posted this in the gaming part of the forum I'm guessing the boys are complaining about being disconnected from game servers when playing, rather than when surfing the web, yes?

If the games they are playing are the same, or the games are using the same ports then you need a router that does a good job of managing UPNP in order to ensure the correct traffic goes to the correct PC.  Unfortunately the VM hubs do not have a good reputation when it comes to UPNP, even the latest Hub 3.0.  The best solution is usually to get a third party router and put the hub into modem mode.  Folks with two Xbox or Playstation consoles experience similar issues.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Juliedesmond1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will look into doing this. My son has found a solution on some games like setting a different client port seems to help, but others the connection just drops

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If there are options to use different ports then that could help.  Consoles don't have that option, which is why they need a router with reliable UPNP when there is more than one of them on the same LAN and it should also make it better for PCs.

There is a section of the Xbox forums where they list routers and mention if they can handle multiple consoles, which is an indication of good UPNP:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_support/networking-hardware/02-routers/default.aspx

I can personally recommend the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 as that is what I use and have no issue with gaming on PC, PS3 or PS4.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Juliedesmond1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Would i be right in saying that i could manually override these ports by setting up port forwarding?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Port forwarding can only be setup to forward a port to a single device. So you could forward ports to one of the PCs but not the other one. If you can setup the games on each PC so that they have no shared ports then port forwarding might be a solution.