Menu
Ed_Oatley
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent connection failures

When playing world of warcraft I keep getting intermittent connection timeouts. I opened up the two ports blizzard recommend i.e. 3724, 1119. I ran a tracert against the Warcraft IP addresses: 185.60.112.157 & 185.60.114.159. The last one of these looks problematic:

Tracing route to 185.60.114.159 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms routerlogin.net [192.168.0.1]
2 17 ms 20 ms 16 ms 10.158.24.1
3 14 ms 19 ms 19 ms winn-core-2a-xe-022-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.98.5]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 49 ms 44 ms 44 ms ams2-ic-1-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.188.158]
11 34 ms 34 ms 39 ms 80.249.208.83
12 57 ms 48 ms 51 ms 37.244.10.35
13 46 ms 54 ms 48 ms 24.105.31.55
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

How can I fix that?

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent connection failures

The timeouts are nothing to worry about, it'll be firewalls blocking responses. That's normal. To be honest, you need to run a Wireshark trace to get an idea of what's going on if you want to self-diagnose but it's going to be meaningless to you. What time do you get the timeouts? Is it usually peak times? Is it the same with a wireless and wired connection?

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
edoatley
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks wonkotsane, it seems to be peak and off-peak - for example today lunchtime and at 6-8pm in the evening. I am only using a wired connection so signal strength shouldn't be an issue. I have exhausted Blizzard's help now - mainly uninstalled other software- hopefully that will help

0 Kudos
edoatley
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately it is still happening regularly. Has anybody got any suggestions of things I can try to stop the regular disconnections happening? For exxample any settings I could change, logs I could look at etc? Blizzard said they have done everything they can their end and that I should contact my ISP

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You either need to do some packet captures yourself (too big a topic to cover on this forum) or you need someone from Virgin to sit on a switch and see what's happening. Have you called 150?

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
edoatley
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Interestingly it seems to have improved a lot this week - I have only had a couple of disconnects. I'll keep an eye on it and call VM as you suggest if it comes back. Thank you
0 Kudos
valormeer
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Same issue's with WoW Last night I was getting random Dc's it wouldn't fully DC me it would hang for minutes at a time. Still happening today Have reset my router and take all the normal steps. This is starting to remind me of a couple of years ago when Virgin had the same issue, It was found that it was to do with Telia connections being blocked as Telia is the network that Blizzard connects with Virgin Media. 

0 Kudos
Contraband
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting the same problems with World of Warcraft. Started happening around November last year. Disconnects every so often. Recently upgrading the hub 3.0 and has since stopped disconnecting but was giving me issues yesterday with high latency 600+ MS. Seems to be ok today.
0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There are so any things that could be causing the issue and it's impossible to tell what it is from the end user device. You need someone on the inside to see what's happening to the traffic from your device to the boundary of Virgin's network.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ed_Oatley

Really sorry to hear of the issues you've been experiencing when playing WoW. There were some issues recently with Blizzard servers that have now been resolved. Everything also looks ok looking at your connection. Have you experienced any issues over the last couple of days?

Speak soon

Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos