Menu
Platy
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Inconsistent high ping and occasional drop outs.

I recently changed over to Virgin Media Vivid 200, but I have been having quite a few issues with high ping in games and drop outs. I swapped over from BT infinity 2 due to being able to get a faster speed here for the price, but It has made it difficult to play games at a high level online. I was consistently getting an in-game ping of 15ms on BT but now my ping is 30ms to 50ms even spiking to 100ms at times and is never stable.

This ping change is on everything from Teamspeak 3, to Borderlands and Overwatch. On Borderlands: TPS! co-op whoever didn't host would have a delay of half a second to a second for when his shot would register effectively ruining the game. This didn't happen on BT.

Ping and Tracert to BBC.co.ukPing and Tracert to BBC.co.uk

I used to get a ping average of 6ms to 8ms when pinging BBC.co.uk on BT.

My Broadband Ping - My Virgin Connection

We tried modem mode, but couldn't even connect using that.

The last few days we have had drop outs but none yet today, yesterday on the graph was us attempting to get modem mode to work with no success. We have tried restarting router multiple times, and tried resetting it multiple times too.

Is there an easy way to fix this or will we need to move back to BT?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inconsistent high ping and occasional drop outs.

Not trying to be smart here, just honest.

If you were getting 15ms ping with BT and that's whats important to you...go back to BT

0 Kudos
Platy
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I don't mind if my ping is a little higher, the problem lies with the spikes and inconsistency.
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Platy, 

Thanks for letting us know that you've been having troubles with ping spikes and the occasional network drop, I apologise for any troubles incurred and I will do my very best to help get this resolved for you.

I have run some checks from here and I can see that there's a lot of time outs inside the Hubs logs, an engineer will be required to attend and carry out some further investigations for you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this all booked and secured for you.

Take care, 

Thanks,

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
bambamboyo
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Nejones1981
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wow why the hell did you switch to virgin lol ? If bt was available in my area I would switch in a heart beat , virgin media is god awful for gaming .