Menu
G62626
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Inconsistent connection

Hi I'm having a lot of trouble playing an online game on a 100Mbit connection. Sometimes it plays like a dream at about 30ms ping but about half the time it is unplayable. Curiously the ping does not change but the game stutters like crazy. I am sure that this is not a server issue as teammates connection is fine. I live with two flatmates but the lag spikes do not seem to coincide with their usage or for that matter peak times. I was wondering if my network is being throttled in some way?

This is a real concern as the "high speed" connection is predominately used for gaming.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inconsistent connection

Hi G62626

Welcome to the forum. I'm really sorry to hear of the problems you are having when playing online. Everything looks great when checking your connection.  Is there any particular game that you are experiencing these problems with?

Are you connected wired or wireless?

Speak soon,

Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
G62626
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ty,

Thanks for getting back to me, I am playing on wireless (2 GHz or 5 GHz make no discernible difference) and the connection from my computer is obstructed by a single wall. I had ruled that out as I thought the connection from router to PC would be consistent.

I am getting mixed connections with multiple games but am unsure which are due to servers and which are on my end. The only two that I am sure are not server issues are Path of Exile and Rocket league.

Rocket league in particular has been extremely bad recently. A few times I have checked my connection while playing and found my ping to be under 30, upload over 30 Mb and download between 5 Mb and 15 Mb. I believe this to be more than enough for smooth game-play so am a bit puzzled by the game-breaking lag observed.

If the connection delivered to my flat is normal then would you recommend I use a LAN cable? I have been using WiFi as I'd need a 15-20 m cable (which I'm sure a CAT 6 would easily manage) that would wind through the hall. Do you think that wireless is likely the problem here?

Thanks, G

0 Kudos
G62626
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Having done a bit of research and using speed and ping tests it seems that my connection is suffering from a high level of packet loss as the ping is low, dl/upl speeds are high and I'm experiencing warping in games. I believe that an ethernet cable should fix this. I'll wait to hear back before I go ahead with that.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi G62626,

Thanks for the update, I've double checked your connection from this end and as Ty has noted, both your Superhub and local network segment are reporting back in good health, with no obvious issues to explain an lag or latency problems.

It sounds like wireless interference maybe an issue, certainly ruling this out with an ethernet connection (cat5e or cat 6 cable would be best) would be a good idea if you're able to give this a try.

Catch up with you soon.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos