Menu
Alucardd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have recently been randomly IP blocked from a website!

Hi, I am writing this post because i have recently been randomly ip blocked from playstation network. Now, I haven't been using it for a good few months, and only recently i tried to log in and found out that I am not able to access the sign in website. I am sure this isn't a ban or anything, as not only have I not been using my account for a long time, I have not received any email about getting suspended, and there is a lot of people out there that have been going through a similar issue.
I did a few good hours of research and found out that changing the IP address is the way everyone fixed this issue. I know however my IP address isn't dynamic, so I can't just randomly alter it.
I would appreciate either the IP address change, or a way to overcome the issue through any other means (a new router even, whatever works). Also, playstation network support has proven to be more than useless in this situation, so no use directing me to them instead.
Thank you for any attempt on fixing this stupid issue.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I have recently been randomly IP blocked from a website!

The IP addresses dynamically assigned by VM are often quite "sticky" so even when you switch off the hub for a few hours you can still end up with the same IP address when you connect again.  If you are unfortunate to get assigned an IP that somebody else has used and abused then you have to either wait out the ban (I think it is usually around a week or two) or try and get a different IP address.  AFAIK the only guaranteed way of getting a different IP from VM is switching from router mode to modem mode or vice versa.

The PSN banning of IP addresses was discussed on another thread last week here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Error-PSN-ws-39397-9/m-p/3134083

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The IP addresses dynamically assigned by VM are often quite "sticky" so even when you switch off the hub for a few hours you can still end up with the same IP address when you connect again.  If you are unfortunate to get assigned an IP that somebody else has used and abused then you have to either wait out the ban (I think it is usually around a week or two) or try and get a different IP address.  AFAIK the only guaranteed way of getting a different IP from VM is switching from router mode to modem mode or vice versa.

The PSN banning of IP addresses was discussed on another thread last week here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Error-PSN-ws-39397-9/m-p/3134083

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Alucardd
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So you're suggesting to just turn on the modem mode every time I log in? That's a bit of a hassle considering i would have to forfeit the option of wireless internet to, well, everyone else in the house. Other thing is, I tried to log in once a good while ago (at least a month) just to see how much remained of my playstation plus subscription, and was welcomed with the same error as recently. I thought that I should just wait it out, because apparently it just went away with time for some people, but only now I decided to start using my playstation consoles again, so it's surely not the weeklong ban.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Alucardd wrote:

So you're suggesting to just turn on the modem mode every time I log in? That's a bit of a hassle considering i would have to forfeit the option of wireless internet to, well, everyone else in the house.

No, SCA is telling you how your VM connection works. PSN have caused the issue, PSN should be sorting it out. You have been offered a work around. The others  are....

• Buy a new router, and put your hub in modem mode permanently
  • Subscribe to a VPN

Other thing is, I tried to log in once a good while ago (at least a month) just to see how much remained of my playstation plus subscription, and was welcomed with the same error as recently. I thought that I should just wait it out, because apparently it just went away with time for some people, but only now I decided to start using my playstation consoles again, so it's surely not the weeklong ban.

We have no idea how long the ban/issue will remain. Again that's down to PSN.

I don't mean to sound unhelpful, that's just the way VM's network works.  The source of your issue is PSN. Really they should be sorting it out, not VM. There is, AFAIK , no facility for VM to FORCE an IP address change, it all happens at a network segment level. The one way to force a change of IP on VM's network is to change the MAC address of the FIRST connected routing device to report to the CMTS - so modem mode with a device connected direct/modem mode with  with a 3rd party router changes it, that's the way the system works. I have to give it up to SCA, he has been more than helpful across several different threads on this issue, if you click through his link you will find all this explained better than I can

Alucardd
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The PSN support is absolute rubbish, never heard a good opinion about them and never actually got useful help from them so I had to resort to asking VM to help me with the issue. I will probably end up purchasing a router and using the modem mode since that seems like the most optimal way to battle this problem. Thank you both for useful help.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think Kippies has pretty much covered what I was going to say. Just to be clear, I'd recommend a quick test in modem mode to see if that lets you login to PSN.  If it doesn't then it is not an IP ban but an issue Sony have with your account and you need to speak to them about it.

As for the length of the ban, I was guessing based on posts here and on the PSN boards which suggested that others got it working again after a week or two.  However it could be that those people managed to get different IP addresses without realising or maybe they picked up the IP several weeks after it was initially banned.  The length of the ban may vary depending on the abuse perpetrated by the previous user.

0 Kudos