Menu
LKC1143
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I hate the Superhub 3 .. Can I go back to the 2ac?

The superhub 3 so far has been absolutely atrocious. As I write this I'm getting around 1mbps on my 100mbps package. Also, without dual band I've been forced to join the 2.4ghz channel instead of the 5ghz channel which worked astronomically better than the 2.4ghz, and even the admin page for the 3.0 loads incredibly slowly. Basically the 3.0 is not working out for me whatsoever and I would really like to revert to the 2ac. Is there any way I can do this without having to deal with Virgin's plethora of charges? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I hate the Superhub 3 .. Can I go back to the 2ac?

The hub 3 is dual band, it just names both WiFi networks the same which is kind of annoying, so some devices may opt for one of the two networks (2.4GHz or 5GHz) more so than the other. People work around this by giving each network a distinguishing name.

Other customers have asked about being given a Superhub 2 AC to replace the buggy hub 3.0 and their request was granted. The Customer Relations Team is the best team to make such an out of band request too. They are available M-F 8AM to 8PM, Sa 8AM to 6PM, Su closed. You can reach them by calling 0345 454 1111 from any phone / 150 from a VM phone -> Option 1 -> Confirm your details -> From the menu choose option 4 -> option 5.

That's not to say you couldn't make the request via a call in then go with the broadband faults option or via the web chat between 8AM to 8PM M-Sa. You very much can do that, but results will vary. It's just that Customer Relations are normally very helpful and they're UK based too.

If all goes well, you'd get a 2 AC sent out with no charges involved. Once received, you'd pop the hub 3.0 in the box the 2 AC came in. Put the collect+ label on said box and drop if off at the nearest collection point, findable via this page: http://www.collectplus.co.uk/virgin

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The hub 3 is dual band, it just names both WiFi networks the same which is kind of annoying, so some devices may opt for one of the two networks (2.4GHz or 5GHz) more so than the other. People work around this by giving each network a distinguishing name.

Other customers have asked about being given a Superhub 2 AC to replace the buggy hub 3.0 and their request was granted. The Customer Relations Team is the best team to make such an out of band request too. They are available M-F 8AM to 8PM, Sa 8AM to 6PM, Su closed. You can reach them by calling 0345 454 1111 from any phone / 150 from a VM phone -> Option 1 -> Confirm your details -> From the menu choose option 4 -> option 5.

That's not to say you couldn't make the request via a call in then go with the broadband faults option or via the web chat between 8AM to 8PM M-Sa. You very much can do that, but results will vary. It's just that Customer Relations are normally very helpful and they're UK based too.

If all goes well, you'd get a 2 AC sent out with no charges involved. Once received, you'd pop the hub 3.0 in the box the 2 AC came in. Put the collect+ label on said box and drop if off at the nearest collection point, findable via this page: http://www.collectplus.co.uk/virgin

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
LKC1143
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have been considering it but the 2ac worked very well so I was hoping to get it back since I'm familiar with it and a lot of good routers can be really expensive.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

legacy1 wrote:
Ready to get your own router yet?
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Unable-to-host-game-servers-via-portforward-since-superh...

But if Hub 3 in modem mode is broken and drops out every 30 minutes / 2048 seconds ( as per many other posts) that's not a solution ?

he needs to get the hub3 downgraded back to 2 / 2ac , to get a stable modem mode, and only THEN get a 3rd party router ?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

But if Hub 3 in modem mode is broken and drops out every 30 minutes / 2048 seconds ( as per many other posts) that's not a solution ?

And how I'm I to know if that will happen to this user given that it does not happen to everyone as far as I know. Would like to say go back to the SH2 every time and really I should but its just not ideal to do that all the time the hub 3 needs to be fixed in more ways then one.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Best Option = Any SH in Modem mode + your own router.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

legacy1 wrote:

cybmole wrote:

And how I'm I to know if that will happen to this user given that it does not happen to everyone as far as I know. Would like to say go back to the SH2 every time and really I should but its just not ideal to do that all the time the hub 3 needs to be fixed in more ways then one.

I thought from the number of posts and length of threads that everyone trying for modem mode was affected ?

if it is a firmware bug as per this and other threads then it shoudl affect everyone with the same firmware.

it's only fair to warn of the risk when saying go spend ££s on a router. no sense having a world beating state-of-the-art router if it's dependent on a bugged modem.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/SH3-Modem-mode-internet-keeps-disconnect...

0 Kudos
arronlowley
Up to speed
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

anyone should feel fortunate to be able to use the 2ac, i have to use the 3 because im on homeworks+300, even in modem mode with my r7000 the hub 3 gives higher latency that the 2ac, dont see why the 2ac doesnt support 300, i mean its basically the same as the 3

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

arronlowley wrote:

anyone should feel fortunate to be able to use the 2ac, i have to use the 3 because im on homeworks+300, even in modem mode with my r7000 the hub 3 gives higher latency that the 2ac, dont see why the 2ac doesnt support 300, i mean its basically the same as the 3

The latency issue is the main reason why I refuse to use my hub 3.0! Of course all of the other problems with it just led me to that out come even quicker. I'm using my Superhub 2 again and have been for a fair number of months now. Whenever VM get around to asking for the hub 3.0 back I'll happily mail it back to them.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos