Menu
paulkirby26
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am having problems with latency and disconnects

Hi,

I have been having problems for some some time now with my 200mb connection (not that it ever gets to 200mb - used to be better on 150mb at my last address)

When i am playing games i am having disconnects and long spikes of latency making it almost unplayable.

I have downloaded the logs from router and its showing constant problems in the network log.

I would attach but i cant see an option to attach a file?

Can you please advise me how to get this sorted

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
paulkirby26
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: I am having problems with latency and disconnects

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Image removed (contains IP address), please review the Forum Guidelines]

downstream.jpgupstream.jpg

0 Kudos
Blitzbok
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Whilst I do not know whether the following is the reason why some Virgin Media customers are experiencing high latency, I have contacted Virgin Media's technical team this afternoon and this is what they had to say:

"Due to the upgrade work being carried out in your area, you are experiencing high latency whilst playing games online. It could also cause slow download/upload speeds, buffering on video services and slow browsing. Once the work is completed any issues above, will be resolved."

When asked when the upgrade is due to be concluded the response was the following: "July 2017"

The Virgin Media team also asked me for my mobile number so that they could update me via text messages on the progress of the upgrade.

Whilst there is a variety of reasons why some of the Virgin Media customers are experiencing high latency issues at the moment, the reason above may apply to some of you too.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey there paulkirby26,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the problems with your connection. I've taken a look this evening and nothing is standing out in error right now. Are you using a wireless or a hard-wired connection? What results are you getting when you test your speed from an Ethernet connection?

Please get back to us so we can continue to investigate.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
paulkirby26
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Still having major lag spikes in games where i literally have total loss of movement for about 5-10 seconds at a time.

Its not the game servers as the other people i play with arent suffering with this either.

With regard to the wifi i am using an N wifi connected to the 5 ghz and i have even tried multiple wifi adapters so if there is a problem with the wifi its the router not the adapter.

Its getting to the stage where im thinking of cancelling my service and moving back onto a standard broadband connection...

A 200mb service that has this sort of instability is useless to me and i would be better off with an 8mb stable connection tbh

0 Kudos
DavidMcClung
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am having the exact same issue across all my games and its really frustrating. When I phone there is nothing on their end. I have messaged riot support and tried their methods but nothing is working. I also have the 200mb package but im using an ethernet cable. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey paulkirby26,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

I know it's inconvenient, but we really need to see results from an Ethernet connection so we can progress our diagnostics.

I appreciate your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
paulkirby26
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What do you mean see the results from a ethernet connection? you havent asked me for any tests to be run...

You mean just connect via Ethernet and see how i get on?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello paulkirby26,

Thanks for posting back on the community.

If you can try speed tests through a wired connection as my colleague Heather mentioned, that would be very helpful.

It may be worth creating a Broadband Quality Monitor to check the performance of the connection. If you do set up the BQM make sure that you go into your router settings > Advanced Settings > Ping > and tick Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos