Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 9 (197 Views)

Huge ping spikes up to 5k

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have just moved to a new flat with Super Hub 2. Ever since I was getting huge ping spikes, sometimes they were up to 200-300 ms, sometimes they were up to 5k ms. Moreover, there was some packet loss occuring as well and random disconnections from the network on one or more of my devices. I thought it might be a cause of some wifi interference so I have changed the wifi channel, it seems that it helped a bit since ping spikes are not happening as often as before, but when they do (at least 1-2 times per hour) they are up to 4-5k ms. I have no idea how to fix it so I hope anyone here will be able to provide me with some help! Also, please let me know what kind of tests/info you want me to provide you with.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9 (188 Views)

Re: Huge ping spikes up to 5k

Test with wired connection? Also make a graph from https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

WiFi interference may occur due to some neighbourhood device producing radio signal on same frequencies - if this device itself is not WiFi, it will not show up unless you use proper RF spectrum analyser. Ultimately any kind of radio technology is shared resource affected by whoever may be near (or relatively near) to you and can be very unpredictable.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 9 (171 Views)

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately wired connection does not come into play because of the distance between my room and the super hub. Regarding the graph it shows 100% dropped packets, no idea why:

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, link contained your WAN IP address. please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9 (158 Views)

[ Edited ]

Matt00 wrote:

Regarding the graph it shows 100% dropped packets, no idea why: 

You need to enable "respond to ping from WAN" in Hub options - I think it was somewhere in Advanced Options, near "ping tool".

You need at least to test with wired to know if its your wifi. If it is, you may explore alternatives like Powerline adapters or trying to trace source of interference.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 9 (126 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi there again, I've checked the connection on the cable and run ping tests via cmd and did not have any issue with the connection then. I'm guessing it's wifi issue then. Link to thinkbroadband graph again: removed

What steps can I take to prevent it/track what is the issue?

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, link contained your WAN IP address. please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9 (87 Views)

You could try getting a pair of powerline adapters and connect your device using them instead of WiFi (assuming your device has an ethernet port).

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 9 (79 Views)

[ Edited ]

I was thinking about that, or just using some 50m~ long ethernet cable but I'd pretty much prefer to enjoy WiFi even though I know it's not as stable as wired connection. I'm attaching a pic of my connection graph which was removed by moderator before: **********

[MOD EDIT: For your security personal and private information (link to WAN ip) has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 9 (73 Views)

Matt00 wrote:

I was thinking about that, or just using some 50m~ long ethernet cable but I'd pretty much prefer to enjoy WiFi even though I know it's not as stable as wired connection. I'm attaching a pic of my connection graph which was removed by moderator before

It's getting removed because your images show your home IP address. This information isn't allowed to be shared here, also sharing that info in a forum opens you up to DOS etc.

All you need to do edit out the IP address info in an image editor, here' I'll show you what you need to do when posting thinkbb graphs:

03kVg0r.png

Note the cycan blue scrub below the graph name that hides your IP info.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 9 (51 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your help Shelke.

What further steps should I take?

xiNBaCF

0 Kudos