Menu
alexgrist
Tuning in
Message 2301 of 2,395
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 / Compal CH7465-LG (TG2492LG) and CGNV4 Latency Cause

Been having huge latency issues with my 2ac and had an engineer come today, replaced the 2ac with the 3 and it's insane how consistent the latency spikes are now compared to how it was when I called to get the engineer. It's honestly like pulling teeth to get an engineer to come out, being told that latency is not something they support issues for; What a joke that is. Luckily I kept on and I've got another coming, hopefully I'll also get the engineer to activate a spare 2ac I have.

Apparently there's a Hub 4 on it's way to release soon, not sure how soon but looking at the Hub 3 it can't come soon enough.

0 Kudos
apotocnik
Tuning in
Message 2302 of 2,395
Flag for a moderator

Same issue here. There were issues on my line with high latency and dropped packets. Engineer came out and swapped the hub 3 which (sort of) fixed the dropped packets but the latency is all over the place (45ms - 500 ms and sometimes even higher) and there are still some dropped packets every now and then. 

Really wish there was some competition with cable broadband providers.

0 Kudos
Grumpy101
On our wavelength
Message 2303 of 2,395
Flag for a moderator

If you have a spare 2ac which was previously reigstered to your account then it can be activiated over the phone, provided you account is below 200Mbps

0 Kudos
Andruser
On our wavelength
Message 2304 of 2,395
Flag for a moderator

And the same with me - some connectivity problems, engineer swapped out a SH2 for a Superhub 3 that's made things worse.  Incidentally, in response to my earlier open question about whether it was possible to use our own modem, I was PM'd by another user who'd asked VM if they could use their own cable modem and been told no.  They escalated the matter to the Chief Executive's office, but because Virginmedia don't care about the poor standard of service they provide with these awful modems, they actually responded that the only devices that could be connected were the VM superhubs, and if the customer didn't like that they should take their business elsewhere.  Given the appalling performance of the SH3, I really think that "couldn't care less" attitude is unacceptable, although since the CEO is paid £3 million a year, its hardly surprising he's completely out of touch with customers.

However, there is a tiny way to keep up the pressure.  Virginmedia have missed their new customer sign up targets (under Project Lightning) by some considerable measure, and investors aren't happy.  Make sure that if anybody asks you about cable, if Virginmedia or broadband comes up in conversation with family or colleagues that you give a firm and frank view of Virginmedia.  I can't see many people taking up VM cable based on the review that I'd give them.  If Virginmedia want to be more successful, then here's a few things they need to do:

1) Be better value.  VM is rip off at the full tariff prices. 

2) Fix the SH3 properly! Not some botch that makes it 30% less rubbish.  I'm personally not expecting anything other than a botch, so in that case they need to either release a new VM cable modem that doesn't have "Intel inside" or allow customers to use third party modems. 

3) Bring back all customer contact and phone tech support to the UK.  The offshore customer "service" is appalling.  If VM's executives can't organise that, resign and let somebody competent do it. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2305 of 2,395
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Better Off In Router Mode Than Modem Mode?

lobster123 wrote:

How long do Virgin media typically trial new router firmware?

You'll discover that you can't generalise on VM scheduling even by specific product....... it's not consistent (from an end user perspective) as far too many variables! The only crude determinations/approximations you can make are:

1. Trial firmware has already been released internally to various VM company alpha/beta testers which may be (initially) months prior to "limited public trials" -
  2. "Limited public trials" may be offered to SU group initially (but not always include solely SuperUsers ) but increasingly even the delta between SU's and subsequent limited "public pilot's" since SH1/VMDG480, SH2/VMDG485,SH2AC/VMDG490 and SH3/VMDG505 has reduced from months to weeks.
  3. The number of firmware versions that are "Trialed" sequentially/serially can be specific to (various) Internal VM testing group and not ALL reflected in subsequent SU Trials and consequently only final or penultimate release candidate eventually "piloted" to regional user group.
  4. Unfortunately "commercial sensitivity" means the heirarchial grouping structure implies that "employment contracts", NDA's and even T&C's for SU's mean that a lot of "Trial information" cannot be forwarded down the "food chain" without the risk of punitive reprisals against individuals if any forum/Trial T&C's are inadvertently compromised (ambiguity/ignorance of T&C's is not an acceptable excuse).
  5.  End result is that many "firmware" issues already fedback to CPE firmware group/Lab may not be prioritised/resolved (or even acknowledged) at Internal, SU, Limited Forum Trial, Early Pilot Release stages,,,, . That (often) cause's frustration, confusion and wasted (duplicated effort) at any/all stages....
Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2306 of 2,395
Flag for a moderator

Andruser wrote:

2) Fix the SH3 properly! Not some botch that makes it 30% less rubbish.  I'm personally not expecting anything other than a botch, so in that case they need to either release a new VM cable modem that doesn't have "Intel inside" or allow customers to use third party modems. 

I totally understand people's frustration, but there's not much Virgin Media alone can do about the Intel Puma issues. They can only put pressure on Arris, who in turn can put pressure on Intel to try and produce a firmware based fix. This has affected cable companies worldwide and other modem manufacturers such as Netgear who seemingly all released modems/routers powered by this chip without noticing the problems. From what experts on other forums have said, a firmware fix will never fully resolve the issue as it's a problem with the Puma chip architecture.

0 Kudos
Stoddy27
On our wavelength
Message 2307 of 2,395
Flag for a moderator

Whilst this is true virgin could eliminate all these issues and allow customers who care about networking equipment to attach their own modems to the line. There is no reason not too most of the other comparable tech companies do this. They could still supply the SH3 to customers and then it is their choice if this is changed or kept. 

Virgin decided to stop manufacturing their own modems and allow other companies to produce them a couple of years back meaning they now have no control over what is put inside them and what technology is used. This decision was a cost-saving exercise that has now backfired.

4 weeks into the trial firmware and once again it's improved but still has the issues which is so frustrating when you sit down to start gaming to relax and end up being more stressed!

ShadowOfDeth69
Tuning in
Message 2308 of 2,395
Flag for a moderator

My BQM a few days in.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e49106ac9007327dc2e33cf515bfc92c1a...

Not AS bad as some I've seen but still pretty gross right?
0 Kudos
WildWayz
Up to speed
Message 2309 of 2,395
Flag for a moderator

ShadowOfDeth69 wrote:
My BQM a few days in.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e49106ac9007327dc2e33cf515bfc92c1a...

Not AS bad as some I've seen but still pretty gross right?

Pretty much the same as mine

27ad6d7729a19bdf57009abde59955dff4b63d8d

0 Kudos
WillWilson
On our wavelength
Message 2310 of 2,395
Flag for a moderator

How did you get the trial firmware?
0 Kudos