Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1231 of 1,277 (376 Views)

Re: Hub 3 / Compal CH7465-LG (TG2492LG) and CGNV4 Latency Cause

[ Edited ]

Well, I can't disagree with the fact that whatever is going on it is seriously out of order and a total disgrace. By the way I've written to Watchdog about it (there's an online link here). I suggest as many people as possible do the same. VM will not like it if this goes public - lots of young gamers out there, maybe they'll actually do something.

Superfast
Message 1232 of 1,277 (509 Views)

[ Edited ]

Scouts wrote:

Well, I can't disagree with the fact that whatever is going on it is seriously out of order and a total disgrace. By the way I've written to Watchdog about it *there's an online link). I suggest as many people as possible do the same. VM will not like it if this goes public - lots of young gamers out there!

Well, there were couple articles in big online techy press about it already. Not sure how "public" they want to wait for - front page of Guardian? Smiley Wink

Also, a lot of affected people don't even realise they are. E.g. for example I was told by somebody "I am still good at CS", not realising that they are good, sure, but can be *better*. The way problem manifests with some games (because its periodic spikes) - you don't see any obvious rubberbanding or something like that, its just like something *slightly bumping your arm every minute*. If you happen to shoot at same moment, you'll miss the shoot - but unless you know what went behind the scenes you will just think "ah, I just didn't aim well or it was bad luck".

Superfast
Message 1233 of 1,277 (408 Views)

Rang up tech support on Thursday for laughs and giggles.  Not aware of the issue, she basically advised me to do a reset of the modem by using a paperclip in the reset button.  Magic formula was to hold it in longer than a minute, not less.

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 1234 of 1,277 (399 Views)

I have also written to watchdog via the online link.
Suggest everyone does the same!

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact
Superfast
Message 1235 of 1,277 (390 Views)

bambamboyo wrote:

Watchdog did a piece on VM last month, they had their usual corporate answers but no real promises.  Get on Twitter and make their social media life hell.

Knows their stuff
Message 1236 of 1,277 (314 Views)

steelysteph wrote:

bambamboyo wrote:

Watchdog did a piece on VM last month, they had their usual corporate answers but no real promises.  Get on Twitter and make their social media life hell.

Eh, they won't care, besides all you're doing is making the job of the guy who has to run the account a pain, it won't actually affect anyone else in VM, nor will it suddenly make any massive differences in customer retention that the hub 3 isn't already doing, at the end of the day you can whine at watchdog all you like, they can't do anything about it and at this stage VM can't really do much about it, yes people will chime in with "but they could do x" to which i tell them to read this thread and find the answers as to why they won't, most hub 3 owners won't care about or event notice the latency issues, especially if they have never had a hub 2, my mother has a connection on a hub 3 and it works fine for her and the chromecast my sister has connected to it, they don't game so they don't have any massive issues Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 1237 of 1,277 (294 Views)

[ Edited ]

Not many people are aware of the issue using it as they brush off the terrible performance as "oh its the internet".  What we have found over on DSLR is people say it does not bother them UNTIL they swap out to  Broadcom. Then UNIVERSALLY they go "Oh wow, I had no idea, this is much better".

Now of course the 0-day DoS attack would be a different story as suddenly nothing works. And does not come back. And no one can fix it. And its on the news as all of the UK and Canada and others are completely off line. Pumageddon.

People may notice that, hahaha..

If you guys dont know this, you can use the 0-day against yourself for testing. It also works from the LAN side. https://github.com/nallar/Puma6Fail/releases

The Intel Puma 5/6/7 is a ticking time bomb and so far we have all been lucky.

On our wavelength
Message 1238 of 1,277 (279 Views)

shanematthews wrote:

steelysteph wrote:

bambamboyo wrote:

Eh, they won't care, besides all you're doing is making the job of the guy who has to run the account a pain, it won't actually affect anyone else in VM, nor will it suddenly make any massive differences in customer retention that the hub 3 isn't already doing, at the end of the day you can whine at watchdog all you like, they can't do anything about it and at this stage VM can't really do much about it, yes people will chime in with "but they could do x" to which i tell them to read this thread and find the answers as to why they won't, most hub 3 owners won't care about or event notice the latency issues, especially if they have never had a hub 2, my mother has a connection on a hub 3 and it works fine for her and the chromecast my sister has connected to it, they don't game so they don't have any massive issues Smiley Tongue

Shane, if I am correct, this is not the first time you have responded to a user suggesting people start making a fuss in other places other than the VM thread.  You have made the same points multiple times, we hear you.

This does not mean paying customers "making a noise" e.g. through a tv programme such as BBC Watchdog, is not a valid, and potentially good thing to do.  

Yes, I agree that ultimately VM did not design the chip; however, my contract is not with Intel, it is with VM, and it is VM that forced me (yes, told me I had no choice) to replace my perfectly working SU2 with one they know has major issues.  I therefore feel it is perfectly reasonably that when I complain, I am complaining about the service VM provide/the contract I pay for.  It is for VM to deal with their own supply chain.

I therefore believe people raising their complaint through BBC Watchdog is a GOOD thing.

Superfast
Message 1239 of 1,277 (264 Views)

The more noise the better!

These days the only way to make a corporate entity do anything towards making customers lives better, is to complain enough till it becomes a public issue. Then they start caring enough about public opinion hurting the bottom-line.

If you say nothing, they will continue to do nothing about it. More so I think that the "a stick your head in and attitude" of some people on this thread is not very helpful at all.

Even if the complainers do not get their desired outcome they would have raised the profile of the issue, potentially speeding up its resolution in some form or other.
--I'm just another virgin user like you. Please mark my answer as helpful, if it helped Smiley Happy
Knows their stuff
Message 1240 of 1,277 (201 Views)

JohnE4U wrote:

shanematthews wrote:

steelysteph wrote:

bambamboyo wrote:

Shane, if I am correct, this is not the first time you have responded to a user suggesting people start making a fuss in other places other than the VM thread.  You have made the same points multiple times, we hear you.

This does not mean paying customers "making a noise" e.g. through a tv programme such as BBC Watchdog, is not a valid, and potentially good thing to do.  

Yes, I agree that ultimately VM did not design the chip; however, my contract is not with Intel, it is with VM, and it is VM that forced me (yes, told me I had no choice) to replace my perfectly working SU2 with one they know has major issues.  I therefore feel it is perfectly reasonably that when I complain, I am complaining about the service VM provide/the contract I pay for.  It is for VM to deal with their own supply chain.

I therefore believe people raising their complaint through BBC Watchdog is a GOOD thing.

Well i'm not stopping anyone from raising it, just pointing out that nobody will care and it won't change anything, VM will already have things in motion and nothing any of us can say will change the timeframe for that, i mean if you want to vent then feel free, personally i'll just funnel the time i would spend complaining about something i have no control over in to doing other things, ultimately watchdog doesn't even have any actual power to change anything and they won't prevent people from signing up with VM and as pointed out, most people won't even be aware that there is an "issue", i mean its a noble cause but VM already plan for bad press with their marketing and will just increase advertising to counter the bad press

0 Kudos