Menu
Up to speed
Message 91 of 490 (637 Views)

Re: Hub 3 / Compal CH7465-LG (TG2492LG) & CGNV4 Latency Cause

I have the black Arris and same model number. However I only have 12 channels on the downstream. I'm on the vivid 200.
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 92 of 490 (627 Views)

boltedenergy wrote:

BlackDwarf wrote:

boltedenergy wrote:

That's Terrifically bad! 
Can you post your channel stats and hardware setup similar to my post?

Sure. SH3, Homeworks 300/20, White Arris TG2492LG-VM in Modem Mode on  9.1.116V FW

GY6stfy

Perhaps a more dBmV/SNR loving geek can comment further but to me your downstream power levels look ridiculously low? 

Have you checked it with support?

Those power levels are fine, anything between -6 and +10 are okay. My Hub 3 would hover around those levels for DS

On our wavelength
Message 93 of 490 (620 Views)

[ Edited ]

Looking at the Channel stats and BQMs make sense.  SkyLord you're only running 12 channels down so your latency effects aren't as bad as those seen with boltedenergy and BlackDwarf.  They're running 20 channels on the downstream so the amount of processing increases as does the latency effects that are seen.  This problem becomes worse as the channel count goes up, but, its a pretty big difference going from 12 to 20 channels down.  I suspect that there are additional differences due to the type of modem that is used as well.  There are variations of this chipset, ranging from a straight modem to a telephony modem to a media gateway modem.  Fwiw, although the problem exists for 20 channel Hitron modems, this really didn't become an issue until the arrival of the 32 channel gigabit modem this summer.  

Looking at the BQMs for Skylord and boltedenergy, the background latency isn't bad.  That all depends of course on how those numbers are arrived at, but, if they really represent the average numbers from the server to the pc, they're not bad.  Blackdwarf's BQM shows a higher background latency, which is most likely due to higher usage rates for his CMTS.  

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 94 of 490 (595 Views)

Add on top of my BQM pretty constant heavy usage my end, which could add extra ms on to the ICMP reply.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 95 of 490 (586 Views)

[ Edited ]

All these threads have taken the wind out of my sails about my impending switch to Virgin Gamer 200 this Saturday. Fully expecting ping spikes, latency and no end of issues, so will likely be cancelling within the 14 day money back guarantee period; i.e. the Sunday. 

I had such high hopes that Virgin might be just a little less disappointing when compared to Sky. Will have to start looking at alternative providers on Monday I think!

I was so looking forward to the 10x increase in download speed. Smiley Mad

Sigh.

Thanks for your brief yet intriguing interractions, Virgin Media forums! 

benjumi: "They're dead Dave. They're dead, they are all dead Dave, Dave they are all dead."

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 96 of 490 (574 Views)

Just in case it brings any form of levity to the situation, I had the following exchange with the Community Welcome team, short lived as it was.

Hey there,

I noticed you have recently joined us so I thought I'd send you a quick message to welcome you to the Virgin Media community and to introduce myself.

My name’s Kev and I'm one of the Moderators who looks after the Community. One of the key principles of our Community is that support is provided by our members for our members. If at any time you have any questions with regards to the Community please feel free to message me and I will get back to you as quickly as possible.

To help you get settled in our getting started section is full of really useful tips.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGettingStarted

I look forward to reading your posts and contributions soon.

Kev
Community Moderator

I replied with the following.

Hi Kev. Thanks for getting in touch. Are you a community mod that is employed by Virgin or are you just a plucky customer who likes to help people? (Not meant as a slight, just need to know so I can pitch my questions at the right level).

You may notice that I have already made some posts on the gaming forum (even got some medals for my troubles!). I am having my Virgin Media package installed on the 17th of December, however as my posts may have suggested, I have read some very disturbing posts about issues with the Hub3.0 hardware and packet management, causing users to suffer horrendous packet loss, jittery connections and all in all made their online gaming experience miserable - something that if I experience will lead me to cancel the service within the 14 day money back guarantee period.

I am reasonable enough to not have berated Virgin's lack of acknowledgment or community engagement on the issue (the threads are increasing in number and views on the issue) however reading through the engagement your support teams go through both on the forums and your Twitter page, I am left even more disconcerted about how Virgin are handling the issue. My overall positive experience with your company is fast depreciating even though I've technically not started with your service yet! 

Whilst the information readily available online is tantamount to certainty as being the problem (Puma 6 chip set needs a firmware patch), I understand why Virgin is taking the plausible deniability route at this time - the company I work for would do the same if a significant firmware issue had been found in a flagship product. 

All of my ramblings aside, there appears to be some hope that not all Vivid Gamer 200 customers are suffering so the proof will be in be pudding on Saturday, however I really hope Virgin are working as proactive with their Arris and Intel partners to get the issue resolved quickly and to everyone's satisfaction; perhaps with some humility and customer engagement thrown in for good measure! 

I look forward to more than just a generic response but I understand if the powers that be may not allow too much honesty at this time (if you're being held hostage, reply with ... At the end of your message and I will alert the authorities!)

I eagerly await your response.

Just in case it warrants a wry smile from anyone who has been suffering a while. Smiley Very Happy

benjumi: "Fork Handles."

Up to speed
Message 97 of 490 (569 Views)

[ Edited ]
Benjumi don't bother with the gamer unless you stream. Vivid 200 will be fine. I have the Hub 3 and I have no problems with lag. There is a problem with the Hub 3 that will be fixed, but y the looks of it the Hub 3 and homeworks 300 sound like the one to avoid with the Hub. My latency spikes which are infrequent and not great, maybe just caused by the hub prioritising different traffic rather than responding to the ICMP ping.
I get the speeds as advertised and the wifi for me is decent too.
On our wavelength
Message 98 of 490 (561 Views)

I do occaisonally stream, Sky Lord, but not regularly. I got the impression that the issue was related to the Hub in general rather than the line to which it is connected - I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise at the moment.

I am conscious of the throttling too, but I may be willing to sacrifice that if I can still achieve a solid gaming experience with no packet loss.

Thoughts appreciated.
0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 99 of 490 (557 Views)

If you stream then yes go for the gamer package. Honestly I'm sure like me you will find it fine. It appears to be the 300 package where the major trouble happens. My mates say I don't lag online.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 100 of 490 (549 Views)

I wish that were true. I've the SH3 and VIVID 100 and there's plenty of lag - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors/share/0ae0fad6d48a92ac0a692439c214ce67-15-12-2016.html

0 Kudos