Menu
frank2d2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Home again to another gaming less night... High pings, terrible jitter...

I am at the end of my tether now, for weeks this has been going on and it simply isn't good enough. After speaking with the off shore team for two nights running, having my issue escalated, and finally speaking to the Swansea team last night there has been very little suggestion or progress. However i am taking steps as advised and think a good place to begin is my BQM graph for the past 24 hours.

[url=http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/3bee3ffc83ffe3d7ed325f0fac4e1813.html]My Broadband Ping[/url]

I should note that this is in modem mode. I have tested my router in modem mode for hours both playing games, and watching my connection to my teamspeak server which i am connected to everyday, and nothing changes. I will be producing a BQM for modem mode as proof, however i can safely say that i can rule out any difference when using modem mode. 

I have one PC connected through ethernet, and occasionally have my ipad connected, but even with everything off i get the same story. Terrible latency spikes and horrible Jitter.

Here are some screenshots of traceroutes i have just ran, the first from a fragmasters UK CS:GO server, which i have played on before on this same service with no problems at all :

trcrt_csgo_1849.png

The second is a trace route from my team speak server. I have connected to this teamspeak server almost everyday for the past 2 years, and it's only in the last few weeks while having these problems that i have been pinging way above everyone else. I am currently sat in a channel with 4 people, one on VM from essex, gets 26ms +/- 10, two one BT with roughly 19ms +/- 2, and another locally to me also on VM but getting 24 m/s +/- 15. I currently have 72ms +/- 70.

trcrt_ts2_1852.png

I am simply not accepting being told "everything looks fine our end" once more, because it quite clearly isn't, and i am fed up with paying full whack for a service that isn't providing me with my basic needs, being a stable connection. 

I am happy to work alongside you guys to get a fix for this, but i can't sit here another night knowing nothing is being done about it. Please let me know any further tests you want me to carry out and i will happily provide you with the results, but i have pretty much ruled out everything it could be my end.

Regards, Frank

frank2d2
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home again to another gaming less night... High pings, terrible jitter...

Live BQM

Screenshot_1.png

apologies the previous link didn't work

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

On the face of it the BQM graph suggests high utilisation, however the "everything looks fine our end" response from VM suggests either that utilisation is not high enough to break their thresholds yet, or that something else is causing the latency on the graph to increase.

Also your trace routes look reasonble-ish on the last hops.

So further tests are needed...

What are speeds like during off-peak and peak time?

Run some speed tests during peak and off-peak time and post the links to the results: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Run the tests a few times to make sure your results are accurate.

Also make sure you try via this site with a local server and London server: http://www.speedtest.net/

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Post your full downstream, upstream, network log and operation configuration stats from your hub found here: http://192.168.0.1/RouterStatus.html

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Run trace routes to thinkbroadband.com during off-peak time and during peak time when you graph looks the worst.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Both trace routes you posted also show some high latency on the first hop, what is the address 10.21.40.1?

Do you have a 3rd party router connected to your Superhub in modem mode while running these tests?

0 Kudos
frank2d2
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I will post the further information as soon as soon as I am home, but I need to stress that those screenshots were NOT done in modem mode. I have edited the post three or four times, and it wouldn't update the changes I was making to the post when editing. 

Just to note, I am running the BQM with 1 PC connected through Ethernet connected straight to my "super" hub, and maybe 1 ipad or iphone connected wirelessly but nothing is really using much bandwidth. Another reason I believe that this isn't to do with my hardware affecting the results, because I have the same equipment connected, doing the same thing throughout the day, and after 12am as you can see by the graph the latency is fine, and rarely fluctuating. It is ridiculous to suggest that it is a fault due to my equipment, when after midnight the ping seems to be stable, but 6pm onwards, it is completely unstable. If it was something to do with my equipment etc, then surely I would see these results throughout whole day, because as I said, the nature of what is connecting and what is using my internet is not changing.

Speedtest - again I will post some tests tonight when I am home but I must stress that I have never had a problem with speeds, speedtest.com rarely shows below 100mps, and usually a low connection ping to the servers. I get these results even when my ping is all over the place. I can literally run a ping test at the same time as a speed test and get completely contradicting results. Nevertheless I do not care about what download speed i get, I would happily take 1mbps if I could just get a stable 30 ping for more than 10 minutes. 

Again without further tests you can't do much so I will post what you suggested above as soon as I am home 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

frank2d2 wrote:

Speedtest - again I will post some tests tonight when I am home but I must stress that I have never had a problem with speeds, speedtest.com rarely shows below 100mps, and usually a low connection ping to the servers.

I'm more interested in it as an indication of a high utilisation fault. Which might explain the high latency. The graphs from the Thinkbroadband speed tests are usually quite illuminating.

I get these results even when my ping is all over the place. I can literally run a ping test at the same time as a speed test and get completely contradicting results. Nevertheless I do not care about what download speed i get, I would happily take 1mbps if I could just get a stable 30 ping for more than 10 minutes. 

So it could be an issue on a particular route further out than your local connection. Try a VPN with different server locations and see if the problem persists: https://airvpn.org/ It's quick and easy to try. 

Bear in mind that some local speedtest.net servers are hosted within Virgin's headend, so if latency is fine to that end-point then the VPN may help avoid the issue and aid diagnosis.

0 Kudos
frank2d2
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

downstream

Spoiler

upstream

Spoiler

Network Log

Spoiler

Operation Configuration

Spoiler

Low ping example of trace route to thinkbroadband.com (5pm 09/03/2016)

Spoiler

High ping example of trace route to thinkbroadband.com (9pm 09/03/2016)

Spoiler

0 Kudos
madmass1980
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I've been having the same problem since December, I even took my Xbox to my mom's who is with a different ISP and had no problem playing multi player games. I get the same old same old that there is no problem at VM's end so think it's time to say good bye to virgin internet after 8 years.

0 Kudos