Menu
Cush
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

High pings/packet loss all times of day

Hi.

Posting this on behalf of my girlfriend, as I'm moving in to her flat next week anyway.

In her uni flat last year, she was on a wired connection with Virgin fiber and usually the only person using the internet, and she had constant issues with extremely high pings/packet loss for seemingly random periods of time, and occasionally it would be good enough to play games. 

She moved to the house next door this year, as well as getting a new super hub and a new cable, and her internet is even worse. She gets periods of massive packet loss/high pings while playing games, and her internet sometimes drops completely.

Not sure if it's because her router was restarted an hour ago, but there is nothing in the network logs currently, so I'll have to wait to get those, but I created a ping monitor here:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6406048c6971ab06c3e166dc2d3195bd.html

And downstream:

I can provide account details on request, I didn't have them initially when I signed up here.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: High pings/packet loss all times of day

Hi Cush,

We're going to need the account details so that we can look into this and see why your girlfriend is getting such poor latency. I've just sent you a private message requesting the details so I can investigate further.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Cush
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I moved in a few days ago so been able to get a view of it myself. 

The internet itself hasn't been too bad lately, aside from occasional packet loss while playing Smite (Ping fine, but rubber banding in-game), or bouts of 400-500 ping across the board for any games/teamspeak.

Not sure if the issue regarding the engineer not officially putting our internet through as installed was sorted after the 3rd engineer came thinking he needed to do an installation. I know that some stuff is done to the connection around this period, not sure if this would cause any issues?

Also, we are paying for 100mb but currently sitting around 55/3 all day, not sure if this is a cabinet issue but I don't think so as the house literally next door along gets almost full speed.

Also something else that I find strange is that on the ping monitor, average latency seems to have a pattern of spiking around the same time every 6 hours (Just after 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6pm etc), like so:

A router restart also seemed to clear the graph up a bit before it climbed back to its normal levels:

Router network log has been empty the entire time aside from '2436694078' TOD established just after I restarted the router yesterday.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cush wrote:

A router restart also seemed to clear the graph up a bit before it climbed back to its normal levels:

If you want it stable over a long time use modem mode.

0 Kudos
dagg
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the exact same issue and have been for months, seems to spike in same place as OP

this is what it is like after a reset... normal, but just gradually gets worse

To make things worse, i can't even reset the superhub without unplugging it as i cant even get to the superhub settings page...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cush

Thanks for getting back to us and posting the BQM graph for us to have a look at. I'm going to send you a private message to look into this further. 

Speak soon 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos