Menu
Timlc
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

High ping

Over the last 4-5 days have been experiencing very high ping. Normally around 20-30. Currently around 150 on average, does however go as high as 300. Am using a wired conection
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Duncroar
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping

I too have been experiencing this. Is it at very specific times in the day? For me its around 7pm-9pm

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Timlc,

Welcome to the community, though sorry to hear of the random ping spikes, appreciate that these can be a problem when gaming in particular.

I've run a few checks on your service from this end and can see that the load on your cable does pick up at peak times which could be the problem, would you say that the poor ping is more evident evenings or is it a 24/7 issue?

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Duncroar,

Just been running a few checks on your connection and looks like you're in a similar position, with heavy traffic at peak times on your cable the likely culprit for any latency based troubles. Networks are investigating on ref. F004270155 with upgrade work to add capacity estimated for around June/July.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Duncroar
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ralph,
That's good to hear, is there a way to follow up this reference number in a couple of days to see the verdict.
I spoke to a woman in tech support last night and she recommended that I use a wifi scanner to assess which channel is the best for our area. Will a solid date for this work also become available closer to the time?
Many Thanks
0 Kudos
Duncroar
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Update, I am also experiencing this past peak times now, up until 1am in the morning. Not sure what to do as I am a new customer.
0 Kudos
Timlc
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
Thanks for the response. It seems to be worse at peek times, which I understand. However it has been a problem during daytimes and as late as 1am, tho, not quite as often. On the latest occasion my download speed was fluctuating wildly but uploads were fine.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Both,

I should point out that peak isn't a set time. It's based on busy times when the network is used the most which is actually what causes congestion. Peak time in a student area would be later at night up to 3am whereas in a more family populated area would be earlier in the evening. 

0 Kudos