Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7 (2,994 Views)

High ping while gaming

Hi. I've been using VM 100Mbps broadband for 1-2 months and I can't say I'm not satisfied. The download speed is fabulous and everything runs smoothly. My only problem is when I'm playing online games. My ping in games like Left 4 Dead 2 or Counter Strike: GO is normally around 100ms which is very frustrating, sometimes it goes up to 400-500. I don't know why it happens, nobody downloads or uploads anything at the time I'm playing. I restarted the router to see if it helps but it's still the same story. 

Is there any way to reduce this ping? 
I always have 95-100% signal strength and link quality so it should not be a problem. I know that gaming on wireless connection is not a good idea but I can't have it other way, at least for now.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Message 5 of 7 (5,571 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by quent1nny
‎09-01-2016 23:40

Re: High ping while gaming

Hi quent1nny,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with online gaming.  I know how frustrating this can be.  I've tested things and can see a couple of issues which may be causing problems, although I'd like to be sure that these are causing the problems first.  Are you able to try a wired connection when gaming, to see if the ping is any better?  Are you also able to run a traceroute to the gaming server?  Your ping & trace results to bbc.co.uk looked pretty normal, so I'm interested to see if anything changes when connecting to a gaming server.  In addition it might be worth testing in modem mode.  Let me know how you get on with that.

Back to those other issues I mentioned, I can see that there is a high demand for our services on your cable during peak times.  This would explain any specific issues during peak times, although wouldn't account for an overall problem.  Out of interest, do you experience gaming issues only at peak times?  Or all times?  Our engineers are currently planning to undertake some upgrade work to counteract that problem and provide for the increased demand in your area.  When the work is completed you'll notice that your speeds (especially during peak times) return to normal.  The reference for that work is F003410370 and we're hoping for more news over the next few weeks.

Finally (I hope you're still with me?), I've noticed some of the hub's downstream power levels are elevated a little.  This could also be contributing to the problems.  If you could reply to my suggestions at the start of the post and let me know if there's any difference, I'll be able to test the levels further and get an engineer out if it looks like that's contributing to the problems.

Let me know how you get on, we'll go from there.  Speak soon Smiley Happy

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Up to speed
Message 2 of 7 (2,956 Views)

As you have mentioned yourself, wireless gaming is a bit naff so that will be one issue you are forced to contend with. That being said, a lot of people are suffering high utilisation issues in certain areas so you may well be affected by that.

Best thing to do is post your upstream/downstream data from your modem (typically 192.168.0.1 in your browser). Also, as many of the following will help;

The more information you can give, particularly information from both off-peak and peak times to see any variance, will help greatly in finding you some sort of answer and potentially a fix.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 3 of 7 (2,944 Views)

are you able to try a wired connection?

buying a cable & routing it up the outside of your house is a wise move if need be.

Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool on Xbox One: http://bit.ly/1e8bSs3
Network ports used by Xbox Live on Xbox One: http://bit.ly/1dCNLm0
xBox Support: http://bit.ly/1lE2QrK
Xbox One operating system versions and system updates: http://bit.ly/1NiJS1j

www.twitch.tv/familycreations

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7 (2,881 Views)

[ Edited ]

Session Time   4day 16h 45m 06s
Session Data Downloaded   17,702 MB
Session Data Uploaded   3,734 MB

Ping BBC.co.uk
Screenshot_1.png

Tracert BBC.co.uk
Screenshot_2.png

Speedtest.net

#1 the closest server to me (Sheffield) which is a surpise as I would've expected at least 50Mbps+ from a 100Mbps broadband
Screenshot_3.png

#2 outside UK server (Northern Italy)
Screenshot_4.png

And the last test:

Screenshot_5.png
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (5,572 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by quent1nny
‎09-01-2016 23:40

Hi quent1nny,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with online gaming.  I know how frustrating this can be.  I've tested things and can see a couple of issues which may be causing problems, although I'd like to be sure that these are causing the problems first.  Are you able to try a wired connection when gaming, to see if the ping is any better?  Are you also able to run a traceroute to the gaming server?  Your ping & trace results to bbc.co.uk looked pretty normal, so I'm interested to see if anything changes when connecting to a gaming server.  In addition it might be worth testing in modem mode.  Let me know how you get on with that.

Back to those other issues I mentioned, I can see that there is a high demand for our services on your cable during peak times.  This would explain any specific issues during peak times, although wouldn't account for an overall problem.  Out of interest, do you experience gaming issues only at peak times?  Or all times?  Our engineers are currently planning to undertake some upgrade work to counteract that problem and provide for the increased demand in your area.  When the work is completed you'll notice that your speeds (especially during peak times) return to normal.  The reference for that work is F003410370 and we're hoping for more news over the next few weeks.

Finally (I hope you're still with me?), I've noticed some of the hub's downstream power levels are elevated a little.  This could also be contributing to the problems.  If you could reply to my suggestions at the start of the post and let me know if there's any difference, I'll be able to test the levels further and get an engineer out if it looks like that's contributing to the problems.

Let me know how you get on, we'll go from there.  Speak soon Smiley Happy

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Tuning in
Message 6 of 7 (2,764 Views)

Hi Kev_B, 

Thanks for your post. I wasn't responding because I noticed it getting better since I posted here. I don't experience high pings anymore, it's usually 30-40ms and sometimes even 20. It's been like that for a week and I think and also hope that it will stay this way.

If I ever encounter this kind of problem again, I'll test it on wired network first, before posting again.

Thank you all for help though.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 7 (2,542 Views)

what colour is your router?

if is is not white then get a new one.  they will give this you free if you tell them that you will leave.

tech support can't authorise this, so don't bother.  just escalate until you get to the "saves" line.  then say you will leave unless they upgrade your modem.

24 hour shipping.  5 min setup and you are golden.  you can return the old modem if you care (they send a label).

your ping will be solved.  virgin will seem like the best isp again.