Menu
fazalu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

High ping when gaming

Hi, so I like to play games such as CSGO and LoL and when someone in my house is watching a Youtube video or sometimes using netflix the ping spikes to 500+ and is unplayable and really frustrating.

I believe I have the 75mbps package atm and was wondering if it should be like this? Is this a problem because of the package or is there something else wrong? Really wanting to fix this as it's super annoying when I'm trying to play and someone is watching netflix/youtube video.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping when gaming

WHich hub are you using?

How are you connecting to it?

0 Kudos
fazalu
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 I think and I have wireless. I can't get a wired connection in my room.

If I get another router and put the superhub in modem mode and connect it and change the QoS settings, so that less bandwidth is used by youtube/netflix will that help lower the ping?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you are using wireless, your latency is in the lap of the gods- not a lot you can do.

Whilst I understand you cant string CAT6 cabling around teh family home, can you TEST with a wired connection see what sort of latency you get? What about  powerline adapters?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

fazalu wrote:

If I get another router and put the superhub in modem mode and connect it and change the QoS settings, so that less bandwidth is used by youtube/netflix will that help lower the ping?

Yes you can do this but most simple routers don't give you IP based QoS they are just set the limit and it does its best and you will have to under limit the rate limit lower then your upto speed because of buffer back of course there are different ways some do QoS that may make you think why its not working. Then there is the available bandwidth for your upto limit which if the amount is under your set limit for your QoS then your subject to the QoS at VM gateway.

So QoS works but their can be lots to think about the biggest problem is the way non-live videos streams run which is they what to load a head of time a big chunk and this causing you to hit your upto limit and buffer but when that big chuck is done it only has to download small chunks of the stream at a rate that does not buffer your connection but when you seek/forward/backwards in the video you buffer again.

And QoS over wireless is a bigger problem one way around this is to have your own wireless access point to yourself.

0 Kudos
fazalu
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I can't test a wired connection as it's not possible without buying the longest ethernet cable. 

What powerline adapters would you recommend? 

My end goal is to be able to have good enough ping to play online gaming even though someone is watching youtube or something. Currently if someone is watching youtube or netflix I am getting 400+ ping.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you are wanting to game whilst people are streaming, as Legacy points out you are going to need a router with decent QOS features. You MAY find that a decent router with QOS will bring latency down sufficiently so that's the place to start.

0 Kudos
fazalu
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Could you suggest an affordable router? I'm not too great with picking one out.

0 Kudos