Menu
Humorousone
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

High ping only on league of legends (EUW)

I'm having issues with league of legends since I installed it.
Regardless of what time of day I try to connect, I always have a ping that's constant at around 600.
It's only just playable, but not a lot of fun.

I'm using a superhub2, which i'm connected to via ethernet (using a powerline).

I don't have ping issues with any other games.
I've tried it on a laptop on the same network, with the same issues.

I'm hesitant to do any port fowarding as it's a pain to edit each time my DHCP lease ends.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: High ping only on league of legends (EUW)

Hello Humorousone

Thanks for the update, I have taken another look.

The traffic on your area downstreams does rise before 5pm sorry. Obviously it varies from day to day and peaks and troughs however there are definite peaks around the 5pm mark and I'm sorry but if you hit one of these I think this may be impacting you. 

Also as Kippies cleverly deduced traffic management of your upstreams is also in the mix. I would love to be able to tell you more but we are a bit limited with what we may share via the forum due to data protection considerations. If you would like to know the individual applications please give us a call 150/0345 4541111 to discuss it further.

Thank you for your patience while we sort the area congestion.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Once port forwarding is done, its done. You dont need to re -do it at DHCP lease renew.

Which server are you connecting to and ill get a look...

Humorousone
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I've just run some more tests.
I'm getting a 600 ping on everything on my PC now, in ping testers, CS:GO, and LoL.

The issue I was referring to in my OP was at about 5pm.
There's a possibility that my issue earlier might not be exclusively LoL - although I've had this ping issue before (high area usage) I've never had it as early as 5pm. I assumed it was just LoL, I'd played a game earlier in the day without problem.

Here's a ping log.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello Humorousone

Welcome to the forum, sorry about the slow pings, we will do our best to help.

I can see kippies has kindly offered to take a look also - thank you Smiley Happy

It is not unknown for Powerline adaptors to introduce a lag however I do not wish to blame them unnecessarily as we also have high area traffic peaks throughout the day including about 5pm. Is it possible to temporarily try a direct wired connection just to see if it helps?

We are planning to undertake some broadband upgrades to support the increased demand for our services in your area. When completed, any slow speeds you may be experiencing (particularly at peak times such as evenings and weekends) will be resolved.

We are looking to carry out the work as soon as possible, in the meantime please give us a call 150/0345 4541111 to discuss a loss of service credit quoting reference F003512701.

Thank you for you patience.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Humorousone
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply.
From my side it looks like an area thing.
I livestream now and then, and my stream was fine when I broadcasted at about midday.

Just tried to stream a few minutes ago (8pm), and no luck.
I quickly found out why.

Speedtest at 8pm, from a laptop through ethernet:

We're paying a lot for 150Mbps internet, and this has happened three nights in a row, two of which have been nights where I'm back late. Going to give you a call later tonight.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Like Nicola said you've high utilisation so not much people on here can do to fix it. Its over to the Networks team.

One thing that your last flagged up with me

If you live stream you may be hitting upstream caps as well

So a mix of capping and high utlisation = double whammy... Smiley Sad

Humorousone
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Took this into account a while back Smiley Happy

Even though I may still exceed my upstream cap, my max bandwidth usage on twitch is 3.5mbps, far below my speed of 12mbps when my internet's still good.

Would it still cap my max speed even if it's below what's advertised on my package because of high ultisation?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The traffic managing wont take over utilisation into account. It just looks at data shifted and says "Oi slow down"

Thats why I brought it  up. You can see the limits

HERE

So if say during the morning, your connection was steaming along and you streamed a load upstream , and hit the caps for your tier.....

Yeah you could still be suffering slowdown from over utilisation later and STILL be capped

Now whether the software is smart enough to say

"okay I should reduce this connection by X Mbps but theres over utilisation on that segment so Ill only reduce it by Y MBps"

is for someone smarter than me.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

BTW forgot to add.

With a few other things on my LAN side, Im sitting with 48Ms to LOL EU servers at the mo.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi HumourousOne,

I believe this issue with LoL is down to the contention issue Nicola mentioned. Just to be sure this is the cause could you try this during off peak times and let us know how you get on? Preferably without the power lines just to eliminate that as a possible cause too. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules