Menu
Zakk90
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

High ping, lag spikes and packet loss in games

For months Ive had an issue in league of Legends where I am experiences consistent ping spikes causing the game to be unplayable.  Since july Ive had a recurrent amount of issues with this ISP, which required calling customer support about 30 times up to this date. Every single person that ive spoken to has come off as technically incompetent.

So after months of hassle, I finally get an engineer to come out who couldn't fix the issue, which required another visit from an engineer who also couldnt fix the issue.  Im getting ridiculously tired of trying to fix this issue myself as no one from virgin seems to have any clue what theyre doing. I specifically got the 100 mbs connection so I could have a fast gaming connection, but it's been shoddy at best.  Im at my wits end and about to file a case with trading standards.

It is definitely a server side issue with virgin causing game traffic to down regulate instead of prioritizing. 

Ive done all the usual things from rebooting/reseting/factory setting the router, flushing my DNS and using a public DNS, completely deactivating all firewalls.

Ive attached results from a tracer to Riots EUW servers.

3 58 ms 7 ms 17 ms leed-core-2a-xe-023-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.232.73]

7 122 ms 77 ms 63 ms nrth-bb-1b-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.130]
8 44 ms 18 ms 16 ms m674-mp2.cvx1-b.lis.dial.ntli.net [62.254.42.162]

11 148 ms 127 ms 150 ms nl-ams04a-ri2-ae7-0.aorta.net [84.116.134.89]
12 * 43 ms 412 ms 213.46.182.2
14 36 ms 30 ms 96 ms 104.160.141.103
15 70 ms 63 ms 98 ms 104.160.141.107

Trace complete.
0 Kudos
Zakk90
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

High ping, lag spikes and packet loss in games

For the past few months Ive had issues with ping fluctuations while playing LoL.  Its completely ruined my experience and made the game unplayable at a competitive level due to packet loss.  Im on the 100mbps package, which is a total waste now as I cant use it for the intended purpose and could have settled for 25 mbps for browsing.

Ive called tech support upward of 30 times, but the level of incompetence has been astounding, as Im relatively tech savvy and know what I am talking about.  Ive been complaining about issues since July, but only had an engineer come out recently.  One came last week, another came this week with no resolution of the issue.  Im not sure what the first one did, the second attached an attenuator which did not fix the problem.

Ive tried using a new super hub.  That didnt fix the problem.  Ive flushed and used a public DNS.  that did not fix my issue.  I do get speeds of 100 mbps and 10 ping on speed test, but it simply is not communicating as it should as I should have a ping in LoL of 25ms, maximum but I am getting constant fluctuations.  Im hard wired into the box.  The routers been reset daily in an effort to fix this problem, though that doesnt work either.

netalyzer, winMTR, and cmd prompt tracers all reveal ping spikes to specific IP addresses.

Apparently Virgin is not known for prioritizing game traffic, as cursory searches lead me to multiple threads about problems with communications between Virgin and other networks.  Specifically since GTT has been utilized.  Ive tried explaining this to tech support but they have no idea what Im talking about (as per usual).  I find it really unacceptable that I was sold the "fastest" connection, yet I had better and more consistent results with a 50 mbps talktalk connection on wifi.

Im at my wits end and if I have to call tech support again I am seriously going to lose my temper.

0 Kudos
Zakk90
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping, lag spikes and packet loss in games

Anyone from Virgin intend on commenting or are you all useless monkeys too?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zakk90,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're having trouble playing LoL. I've just checked your connection and there is currently an area fault open under ticket     F004442116 which is due to close at 21:30 this evening but this wouldn't have been the cause for last few months. Everything else on your line looks perfectly healthy though the fault may be skewing our tests.

Could you post your traces and MTRs here for us to take a look?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zakk90,

Apologies for the issues you're suffering with League of Legends recently. I'd like to get to the bottom of this issue for you, I can understand how frustrating it must be.

I've run some checks on the hub and network segment, it appears you're currently being affected by an SNR issue, the reference is F004435282. This is currently being worked on and should be sorted shortly. I doubt this is the cause of the issues, but it will affect packet transmission whilst ongoing.

Could you please test in modem mode over the next few days and provide the full traceroute in both modem mode and router mode? Could you let me know if the connection is any different in modem mode also?

Get back to me when you can.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
IainOb1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I always have issues gaming with virgin media.

I am using the router super hub 2 in mode mode as the wireless 5g always drops out constantly using our mobile phones. Using an Asus router and i get no drop outs.

My ping is always above everyone elses in any online game I am always behind the game in online shooters. The ping fluctuates too during the game spiking up and down.

Gaming in the UK on many of the ISP is becoming a chore tring to play properly. Any competative game is a no go due to the lags. A cable broadband should have low pings in general even servers in europe or the uk seem to have high pings.  Testing the connection using many test site only has the very closet test servers having a low ping. I get 24 ping on speedtest.net but in any game im no where near that no matter which game I play always above other uk people too. Im on the 50 mb. Increasing the speed won't help if the connection fluctuates and is not stable

My Broadband Ping - virgin
0 Kudos
IainOb1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh and I game only on lan cable not wireless
My Broadband Ping - virgin
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi IainOb1,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting fluctuating latency in games.

I've just checked your connection and everything looks healthy from here. Power levels, SNR and area contention are all healthy. As you're connecting wired we can rule out wireless interference at least. Could you run some traceroutes to the servers you play on and post the results here for us to take a look at?

0 Kudos