Menu
Gladiator123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

High ping in League of Legends

Dear VM, I have been contacting Riot(league of legends) about my ping issues that only affect me when I play league of legends. My ping for the most part is usually fine on speed tests/browsing the forums but not when I'm playing league. Until a week ago, I had a smooth/constant ping of 23 when playing league, it's now in the 30-40s and it's constantly jumping in the 100s, which makes it impossible to play league.

I have rang VM a few times, they've said they made my connection stronger(it was never weak to begin with) and it's had absolutely no impact on my ping in league, it's still terrible.

I've ran several tests through league of legends support team over my Christmas holidays and the final response I got back was this:

My trace route if it helps:

My lag report test on the game:

I have read about issues with the HUB 3, but Virgin Media no longer give those out and I couldn't get them to activate my old HUB 2 either, because the MAC address had expired(so they told me).

I found a similar issue 9 months ago from the Riot forums, it might shed some light with my issue:
https://boards.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/help-support-en/EnG4O1Jg-constant-80-100ms-virgin-media-...

Can someone please help, I've tried absolutely everything, my holidays are almost over and I've not been able to play any games with my friends. It's extremely frustrating. No one is willing to take the blame and I'm stuck in the middle of it all.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
x3Matt
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping in League of Legends

I have same problem, Ping jumps even to 3000 while playing games, when I'm watching YT or doin stuff online it's fine.

I'm paying over  £30 for ? for 3000 ping? for lags because of this internet?

Gladiator123
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's incredibly frustrating. there's a dozen posts on here with the same issue. All around December/Christmas time, all latency gaming issues... sigh.

0 Kudos
joshw1415
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have been having the exact same problem. About a week ago mid game I noticed my ping jump from 26 to high 30's which isn't a major problem however the random jumps  to 150 for a few seconds make the game unplayable.

I am on the vivid 200 gamer package I shouldn't be having problems like this, having looked at the trace-route files its clearly on virgin medias end as it will randomly jump to an address in Germany used by the parent company. 

Worth noting also that this problem is strictly related to league of legends I haven't noticed anything different in the other games I play.

breezerblaze
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

We got VM before christmas and everythig was fine.  Then my son started to complain about LOL as it was unplayable, he has now gone back to our 4mb talktalk connection which is appallingly slow and all is fine for him again.  All of his VM mates in the area are having the same problem.  This suspiciously looks like it is a VM issue.

For another thread: I now get kicked out of my vpn to work every 30 mins or so, this never happened on talktalk.

Breezer

Gladiator123
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's such a shame, I might be forced to switch my ISPs too, because latency is really important to me for gaming..

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gladiator123, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your gaming. 

I have taken a look and I can see some occasional FECS (noise on the line) I would like if possible for you to note down the times you are having trouble so I can see if it corresponds with what I am seeing. 

If the issue mainly wired, wireless or both? 

Keep us posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi x3Matt, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have also been having trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. 

Are you having trouble wired, wirelessly, or both? 

Pop the hub into modem only mode with the computer in safe mode with networking and let us know if it makes a difference. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi breezerblaze, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have also had similar trouble. 

I have taken a look and I can see extensive FECS (noise on the line) on your connection and your upstream power levels are too low. 

I have raised this to networks to investigate further. I will let you know once we know more. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos
Grumpy101
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You may genuinely have a line SNR or oversubscription issue but you also have the Hub3.

The forum team will go strangely quiet when it comes to the Hub3. Its like a dirty secret that isnt mentioned or acknowledged by VM. 

If you still have you SH2 ask to speak to the retentions team. Tell them you are leaving unless its reactiviated. Once activiated I would also buy your own router to act as the workhorse and put the SH2 into modem mode. If you are still having problems then you know its an addtional issue but at least you have taken the Hub3 out of the equation.

0 Kudos