Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5 (186 Views)

High ping during peak

Yet another report of high ping (on the SH2 in modem mode, same problems in router mode) - the most I can squeeze out of the connection at peak times (like clockwork, at about 8:30 onwards) is about 5Mbps down, but manually QoSing on my router allows me to get acceptable pings so it looks to me like buffer bloat:

latency8888.png

My location is London SW7 - is there any chance you could check if there's peak time congestion in my area, or if it's just a local fault?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5 (200 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by lukegb
‎17-02-2017 17:56

Re: High ping during peak

Evening lukegb,

Thanks for posting back on the community. It's nice to have you here.

I'm sorry to read that you are having high pings during peak hours.

Looking at your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004449408 and with a review date of 15th February 2017.

I will pass this to one of my colleagues who will be in touch with more information.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Hero
Message 2 of 5 (169 Views)

The QoS for your download need to be less then upto limit so for me on 70Mb I limit to 62Mb and from downloading off stream 56Mb you can see after 9am I did a lot of downloading
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/61339e66abca653e72d40f765432f781-29-11-2016.html
The impact and number of connections stream uses bufferback to the Egress of the super hub upto limit.

For upstream you mostly just round down to 64 or 128 Kb of the set upto upload limit on the super hub.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5 (161 Views)

Yeah, but actually achievable downstream bandwidth for me is 5Mbps between 9pm and midnight (speedtested with speedtest.net and Google's built-in speedtester, as well as using iperf) - if I limit to anything higher than that then I still get the same bufferbloat issues. I tend to only enable QoS during the hours of pain.

I phoned up and got a refund for all the days I've been experiencing issues for so far (so, for the last few weeks), but I forgot to ask if this is a known problem or if it's just me :/

Honestly, I'm considering just switching to an ISP using BT's backhaul (or at least getting a backup internet connection).

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
0 Kudos
Hero
Message 4 of 5 (156 Views)

Their is a way QoS can't work right unless you bridge the traffic for QoS to the router and I think thats how VM have it setup in my area.

HFQ alone can also causes that problem because you can only get 5Mb you buffer at the CMTS and your own QoS can't really know how much to limit so it thinks its less then half and less loaded. The CMTS here seems to do a type of HFQ with SFQ.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5 (201 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by lukegb
‎17-02-2017 17:56

Evening lukegb,

Thanks for posting back on the community. It's nice to have you here.

I'm sorry to read that you are having high pings during peak hours.

Looking at your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004449408 and with a review date of 15th February 2017.

I will pass this to one of my colleagues who will be in touch with more information.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide