Menu
bykpiotrek
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

High ping and speed problem

Hi sorry for my English
i pay for 30mb and i have a lot problems every evening my speed slowing down to 10-15mb my ping grow to 200-"time out" and i have idea to buy biger packet and now i have 100mb but i still have this same problem high ping and slow speed sometimes my ruter dont work good im gamer and l need stable ping pls help me Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
redhowler
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping and speed problem

You don't need bigger packet 100mbit should be very efficient for any online gaming.

I have same packet (100 mbit) and packet loss which means bad online gaming.

They should solve the problems you having, I'm waiting my self for same thing for weeks now.

On the other hand routers are overheating and when they overheat usually perform bad and sometimes freeze. Restarting router helps for some time but than the problems will be back.

bykpiotrek
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I restart my ruter every day i cant play, what should I do call to tech support ?

0 Kudos
redhowler
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

yes

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bykpiotrek,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with gaming. I've checked your connection and can see no issues. Your power levels, contention and area SNR are all healthy. If this is happening at peak times like the evening and weekends it would usually be down to contention and while this does spike at these times it isn't at a point where we'd raise to networks.

How are you connected to the hub? By wireless or ethernet? Also is this on a console or PC?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
bykpiotrek
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I use ethernet this is pc my friends use laptop with wifi but he have this same problem;

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bykpiotrek,

Thanks for letting me know. As this is happening wired we can rule out a wireless interference issue. 

The next step is to try and narrow down the possible causes. Could you try the hub in modem mode with the PC in safe mode with networking? This will rule out the hubs router functions, devices on the network and any background programs or processes on the PC.

Let us know how you get on. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Eggymundo
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I and several of my friends have this problem also in the Liverpool region.

The pings for gamer's are awful at the moment. I noticed this start happening about 3 weeks ago, it improved for a couple of days and for the last week it's been constant.

Can you confirm this is down to infrastructure changes, are there issues Virgin are having, etc.

If this continues, I'm going to have to get rid of Virgin, as I use it mainly just for:

• Web browsing
  • Gaming

I can't connect to servers as I get kicked for high pings, its completely useless at the moment to me bar posting this issue and some light web browsing.

RE: contention ration, this has been like this weekdays, weeknights, weekends all hours, so if it was because of high usage I'd of noticed a change of behaviour.

Also its not as if there hasn't been high usage since I had Virgin Broadband for the last 6 years+. 

Can we have some meaningful replies from Virgin bar try this, try that.  It's your infrastructure not the modem or my router as I know of 5+ problem all have the same problem and theirs started the same time.

Has there been a firmware upgrade to the modem? (Hub)

Have you spoken to the network infrastructure people? Or are you following your check sheets, provided in your training.  Can you escalate this past first line support please?

I used to advise people and friends about getting Virgin instead of O2, Sky, etc.  But if this experience continues I'm gonna have to tell them not to.  In all 6+ years I've never had much of a problem at all, but the service status is a joke nowdays and the lack of meaningful support is left wanting.

I work in I.T., I'm a chief software architect and handle all things AWS so I don't need to hear stuff like are you on wireless?
Any gamer with half a brain plays on CAT5e

Karl

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
bykpiotrek
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi John_G i can try modem mode today tomorrow i send you results tomorrow 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bykpiotrek,

Thanks for giving that a try. I was off yesterday so apologies for any late response. Let me know how modem mode goes and we'll take things from there. 

0 Kudos