Menu
Osheen
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

High ping and ping spikes

I've been having this problem a while and it seems there are no answers for it. Every game I play I've been having ping spikes randomly. It'll stop for an hour and then I'll have ping spike every minute. Ranging from spikes that go to 100+ to over 3k. My ping in game on average is about 40-50. When I do a ping test it always seems to be 25-35, but that isn't much of a difference. I'm getting 0% packet loss and 25ms of jitter. 

Recently as well my internet has been disconnecting every device and then reconnecting them after a minute. It seem like I've have never ending problems with VM. 

0 Kudos
Osheen
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping and ping spikes

So I've started a ping monitor to see exactly how bad my ping is, and it seems pretty terrible. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/899ad7d0582651c2660bec8350ac1b22.html

Ignore the red at the start, needed to change some settings.

0 Kudos
Greendore
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Been happening to me and I'm finally sick of it, had an engineer out who found no faults but gave me a new hub, still same problem. I'm moving to Sky Internet ASAP

0 Kudos
Osheen
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I seem to have never ending problems with VM. We've had VM in our house for years and I've never noticed the ping except when I got back into gaming, and I thought it was on my end, but I've tried many dodgy solutions and nothing has worked.

We've previously had speed problems and they changed the router twice but it seems to back from time to time. This last week or two all devices are being disconnected for a minute and then reconnected. VMs speed are good, but it's so unreliable.

My gf recently got it in her house and she was having the disconnection problem but it was every 5 minutes and speeds were poor when it was working, so it was pretty much pointless as you couldn't stream anything and normal browsing was painful. They've already moved to Sky, the Sky speeds are slower, but at least it works. Also, once they cancelled VM, their connection and speeds have been perfect. They're just waiting for it to finally turn off now.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So going by your BQM now it all looks good...looks very good the spike are you doing a speed test or something doing a short download or uplaod.

So yes if you use modem mode and get your own router with QoS you can have a really connection on that. Or you ask for another super hub if you get a hub 3 you will not get Latency as low as your getting now after the reboot or if you use modem mode with the SH1 you will (if no other faults) get low stable Latency.

0 Kudos
Osheen
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How is that good? There is a full block of yellow in there, with one huge hour long spike. This has been going on for a long time now. I've noticed that this is completely random too. I checked it when I was out of the house last week, with no one else in and ping spikes on the graph were still occuring. I might have a spare router laying around, I'll give that a try.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Like I said the spikes are you doing a speed test or something doing a short download or upload you might not know what but thats what's likely happening.

in case you didn't get it router mode for SH1 has problems which is why a reboot did what it did but modem mode will run for days, months even a year+. 

I router doing NAT does not solve spikes which is why you have to do the QoS on your own router/equipment to deal with your upto bandwidth at the very least.

0 Kudos
Frogster8
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to bring up an old topic, I'm having the exact same issue, virgin sent out an engineer who replaced the hub and cable but (quite obviously) it hasn't helped at all. As I knew it wouldn't. Did you ever get this fixed or did you just have to leave, and if so where did you go and are they better? 

0 Kudos
Osheen
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the late reply. They came out and swapped my router, but they couldn't confirm it to be working because of power cuts across the country that day. They informed us that an engineer would be out the next day to solve the issue, no one returned and now our internet is back to having shocking packet loss, and inconsistent ping. Also cutting everyone from the wifi every so often, a lot of the time it will cut everyone every few minutes. Beyond a joke at this stage. Considering just leaving them now. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0cce9d3be03eb2e510bc9d804e71300841d98cd8-02-07-2017

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Osheen,

Thanks for posting back on the community and posting your BQM graph.

When I checked your line, the power levels are showing as too high. I appreciate that you have already had engineer visits to look into this for you, however these do need to be adjusted. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos