Menu
Zteve
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

High packet loss - Wired PC - Area 28

I am getting unplayable lag spikes playing games online. I am assuming this is affecting PS4 as well but is less noticeable. Initially I thought this was a wifi issue so I tried connected the PC using a network cable to discover there are issues on doing so.

Can you help?

What logs do you require from my router?

I am running a Broadband Quality Monitor currently to post results in 24 hours.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 21 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: High packet loss - Wired PC - Area 28

MOST of your problems are caused by having a crappy Superhub 1 and using it in router mode (the default mode), without rebooting it.
It's a well known issue in the firmware that causes increased minimum latency (green and blue) over time, which makes your connection very unstable.
I'm talking about the raised green and blue below:

My Broadband Ping - cable connection
This is what your graph would have looked like for that day IF you had rebooted your Superhub 1 on that morning:
MUD_Wizard SH2ac
You would still have the red packet loss from your noise issue, but it would work MUCH better.
Ignore the hump at 8-10pm, as that was a national peering issue that everybody was seeing:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/The-hump-is-back/td-p/3423910
So, in order to keep your connection table you MUST either:
- Reboot your Superhub 1 EVERY day.
- OR put it into modem mode and attach a 3rd party router for wifi, since the problem doesn't occur in modem mode.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 22 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Zteve wrote:

It looks a lot better than it has done. What was the issue? 

See just after 9pm, that's your Superhub 1 rebooting. That's where your graph looks normal again. You could have that every day if you just switch it off and on again in the morning.

My Broadband Ping - cable connection

I will provide a snapshot if I get any packet loss later on tonight when I am gaming online.  I hope the red packet loss at the top of this graph not enough to disrupt my ping in a noticeable way?

The packet loss is due to the upstream noise issue on the network and it may or may not disrupt your gaming as it could just be a few packets here or there, but the user experience is made a LOT worse if you don't reboot your SH1 once a day. I know this from first hand experience having had a Superhub 1 for a whole year before I moved to the SH2, SH2ac and which don't have the issue.

Don't ask to change your hub, because they'll give you a Hub 3 which will be just as bad for gaming, but for other reasons (Puma 6 issue). Modem mode or rebooting is the answer.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Zteve
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I have contacted virgin and they tell me that area 28 is being upgraded and this is due to finish on the 18th of January. The work reference for this is F004642306. This is not noted anywhere on my service status report even though is it is directly affecting my connection.

Why Virgin have they decided to cause a poor service to countless people over the festive period is beyond me. Can someone please confirm this work is being done and my ping will be stable once it completed? The end date is over a month away though. This is unacceptable.

0 Kudos
Zteve
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Here is my thinkbroadband monitor results for the last 24 hours: My Broadband Ping - cable connection
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zteve,

Really sorry we've not reached your post before now. The fault you've been advised about, ref: F004642306, requires a network upgrade. This will increase capacity thereby alleviating peak time congestion. This type of issue won't show on the service status page as that is normally used for short-term faults, such as low SNR (signal to noise ratio) or total loss of service.

However, the fault affecting your service will not cause the awful connection as evidenced by your BQM snapshot. That is more likely to be linked to noise on the upstream. I've tested your connection and note that there was a cluster of errors yesterday, between approx. 3pm to 5:30pm.
This doesn't appear to have been reported and I suspect something similar may have been in place at the time you last posted. The line has been clear since then so I'd like you to post an update on here as soon as you get any further issues and I'll take a look to see if a network technician is required.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

You have a SH1 in router mode so you need to reboot or use modem mode and it will be stable.

0 Kudos
Zteve
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Here is my latest BQM - My Broadband Ping - cable connectionI have had a quick go of quake and it appears my connection is fixed Smiley Very Happy I will have a longer go later on give it a test fully. I wonder what caused it. I will post post any details if the connection goes awry again on here Thanks
0 Kudos
Hydrops
Dialled in
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Good luck but don't get your hopes up

Getting consistently shafted by highly fluctuated ping during "peek" all daylight hours.
0 Kudos
Zteve
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

My Broadband Ping - cable connectionHi my issue has returned. Can you run a diagnostic on the line and check if there is anything that can be done?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zteve,

Ahh so sorry that this has returned. As suspected the network segment is indicating errors - intermittent but rather bad when the occur.

I have escalated this to Networks for attention and have noted details on your account. I'll be in touch as soon as I have a reference number and I shall also provide updates when I'm in.

Apologies as I know your connection is poor when the faults are evident but we'll see if  a network Technician can locate and fix the cause.

Bye for now,

Jen
Forum Team

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zteve,

The fault reference is F005290102. There's no real update on there yet as the ticket is young but I'll check back tomorrow to see what's happening.

Jen
Forum Team