Menu
captainfalling
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

High Ping problems after switching

Hey!

So we switched over to Virgin from BT on wednesday just gone, As soon as we switched over I noticed an increase from the 19ms ping I was getting with BT to a steady 35ms. That wasn't a problem as it had no impact on gaming. However from the thursday I noticed that more often than not I was between 200-500ms. I thought this may be a problem with just the game (league of legends) so tried playing some other games such as borderlands 2 and left 4 dead 2, the issue persisted both on my laptop (cable) and my girlfriends laptop (wireless). Even on the curse voice client I was getting ping ranging from 200-500ms!

A friend of mine said it could just be where the hub is "getting used to" the traffic and ports that are being used, but after seeing a lot of other posts here i'm not so sure this is the case!

Can anyone give me some advice?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Ping problems after switching

Any device you have downloading or uploading using lots of bandwidth that you know of or don't know of will cause buffering. Their is also the possible due to bad QoS and capacity problems in your area. If your hitting your upto limit in the super hub you can get your own QoS router.

When you get high pings test by disabling the wireless in the super hub and with one wired device thats not downloading or uploading run a ping, tracert speedtest and pingtest
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
http://www.pingtest.net

0 Kudos
captainfalling
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey,
I'm not exactly savvy when it comes to networking and stuff, so what does QoS stand for?

The problem with pingtest and speed test is that they auto-pick the best server, which is usually very close by and thus gives me a naturally lower ping. Most gaming servers are based in mainland europe so unless theres a way to directly ping them then im not sure how the pingtest and speedtest will help.

I have pinged the riot game servers multiple times through "CMD>ping riot.de -t" and thats how i check my ping for league to know wether there is any point in trying to play. So far I have had an hour where my ping was fine, the rest of the time its been around 200-300.

If there is anything a layman like myself can do then let me know Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

captainfalling wrote:

The problem with pingtest and speed test is that they auto-pick the best server, which is usually very close by and thus gives me a naturally lower ping. Most gaming servers are based in mainland europe so unless theres a way to directly ping them then im not sure how the pingtest and speedtest will help.

So pick your own servers to test like this which is over seas so 100ms is to be expected but jitter is low and good.

Doing a speedtest shows how much bandwidth there is when your idle you may not get 100Mb all the time but how much do you need the bottleneck is likely at your gateway so with the limited amount you also want to know how your jitter is which pingtest tells you true it be nice if it could test by a set amount of bandwidth but this is whats available.

0 Kudos
captainfalling
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey,

Done both tests, worked out how to ping different servers so chose the one in germany as it was the closest to the servers im trying to connect to.

my d/l speed is 104 mbps uplaod speed is 5 mbps.

Where it says idle latency I have:

• london 86ms
  • ireland 87ms
  • amsterdam 91ms
  • germany 103ms

my bufferbloat and quality are rated A yet my connection is rated C

Pinging frankfurt server on the pingtest I got 32ms ping with 5ms jitter and 0% packet loss.

Yet I still get between 100-400 ping for league when im in game or when pinging the game servers from cmd.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Did you do what I said at the start? When you get high pings test by disabling the wireless in the super hub and with one wired device thats not downloading or uploading.

All it takes is one device to cause ping spikes you likely was not idle when you took the speedtest.

So one device you can install NetWorx to show a graph of what device is doing.
https://www.softperfect.com/download/
when your connection is idle ping riot.de -t then run a speedtest note as your running speedtest for a download or upload the ping shoots up this is to be expected without your own QoS as in Quality of service or a way to allowing connection flows to have its own buffer queue to flow connections evenly or low and high priority and packet or bytes bursts per flow connection of all flows at the set limit.

0 Kudos
captainfalling
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey,

So I disconnect everything from the hub, apart from my pc and make sure im not downloading or uploading right?

I'll try that tomorrow.

Right now my ping has gone down to 30ms, I'm thinking it must be something to do with throttling or something when lots of users in my area are online. LAst night it was fine after about 1am until i went to bed at 6. woke up at 12 and it was bad until just now.

sorry for being a pain with this and i really appreciate you taking the time to help me out mate Smiley Happy

0 Kudos